Help with Pure Breeds

I have a Black Australorp that lays in general, daily - period. Large brown eggs. She's no interest in going broody and lays over winter. She's been known to lay two eggs in 36 hours and on those weeks produces 8 in the week.

Plymouth Rocks are a breed. A PURE breed, there are lots of color varieties of the Plymouth Rock. The best egg laying variety are the Barred Plymouth Rocks. There are white ones, silver pencilled ones, columbians, buffs and others.

I keep Partridge Rocks, Barred Rocks, and am growing up Blue and Black Rocks and plan on other varieties, both approved and atypical. Atypical colors can not be shown but they are still Plymouth Rocks.

Some Australorps are easy to live with (mine isn't). I find most Rocks easy going and friendly and hearty. Mine free range, hearty is important.

Yes Australorp's pure breeds.
Are you going to be showing them is the why your looking for "pure breeds"?
chris

no Im going to use them to make my own commercial hybrids.

and are welsommers pure breeds?

Last edited:
The commercial hybrids have developed their own strains over years & having invested rather a lot of money in research. Trying to match a commerical hybrid is not going to happen by just crossing two laying breeds together.

Yes, Welsumers are pure bred. But they are smaller than the RIR, BR and Autrol. But bigger than Leghorns.

Leghorn will develope fast than all other breeds mentioned. The others are duel purpose breeds and are slower in growth and latter to lay eggs first time. If you mix the two your eggs Might be brown but more lickly they will be white or cream.

The comeriacal sex links are not just a mix of 2 pure bred chickens that you can buy. They are there own mix breeding that came true then mixed with the other breed to make sex links. Sorry I can not explain that better. It took years to do it and they just do not lay long because they burn out fast. One to two years at most then they have to be replaced. The thing is most of the good production pure breeds will lay as good as them plus they will lay longer 3 to 5 years. They also breed true.

But, i can make my own High quality pure breed, I mean purebred RiR will have the genetics of the parent stock, i just have to keep selecting the good quality, no? But what i can't understand is why the sex link or any other commercial hybrid wont have even better chicks when you mix them again.

When you breed a sex-link parent, it's offspring will not be sex-linked. Which loses the purpose of having a sex link.
You could create a dual purpose breed for yourself, but I don't know if it'd catch on because hatcheries do a lot of research trying to get the most productive bird to sell.
Another thing to consider is people may not be interested in a mixed breed. You could breed pure leghorns, or RIR and get good egg layers. No experimenting required.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom