Help with quails

Menchu1961

Hatching
May 30, 2017
I got new coturnix quails. Had them for 2 wks and I have one mail and 3 females. Only got 3 egg after almost 2 wks. How long before they get aclamated and start producing eggs regularly? They got planty of light and food that is 30% protein and also lister shell

It can normally take a few weeks for them to get started laying again. And if anything else is stressing them then it could take longer. Like a cat or dog getting around their cage a night. Just give them time and they will start laying again.

Congrats on the new birds!

Giving them hiding places (if you haven't already) will help them be less stressed but it can still take a few weeks for them to get used to the new place.

On a side note, your protein level is high. You should aim for 22-24%. Too much protein can cause prolapse in laying hens.

Thank you for the advise. I got. One egg day before yesterday, one yesterday, and 2 today... so I am encouraged. We have no pets. Our dog died recently. So I don't thing that is the problem.. Iomine, you think giving then less protein would help? I started giving then chicken crumble with 22 % when they came, but latter red that this was too low... I got one egg at that time w/o shell so I was worried. On the new food I have gotten 4 normal eggs... :)

Thank you for the advise. I got. One egg day before yesterday, one yesterday, and 2 today... so I am encouraged. We have no pets. Our dog died recently. So I don't thing that is the problem.. Iomine, you think giving then less protein would help? I started giving then chicken crumble with 22 % when they came, but latter red that this was too low... I got one egg at that time w/o shell so I was worried. On the new food I have gotten 4 normal eggs... :)

Any thing over 20% is fine 24% to 26% is ideal. What I would do, if you are able, is mix the 30% with the 22% and you will be right around the 26% mark. Don't worry if you get a shell less egg every now and then its just a hick-up in the quails system. Only start worrying if you start getting them often. On average they lay 280 to 300 eggs a year so you will not get a egg form all 3 every day they do take some days off. If they just started back laying then you should be good.

A study found that the ideal protein level for laying quail is 23%. But honestly it doesn't have to be right on point. If you give the higher protein you can balance it out a bit will treats of fruits and veggies.

Soft eggs have more to do with them not having enough calcium in the diet. So if you get a lot of soft shells check to make sure they are actually eating the oyster shell. With mine I had to switch to ground egg shells because the oyster shell pieces were too big. As already stated, it's not uncommon for birds new to laying or those that are stressed to lay a soft shell here and there.

Thank you very much for the advise. I got 3 eggs today. One for each. So I am happy. I will modify the food to make it a little lower in protein. Also I do think the lister shell is too big, but I am grinding some egg shell after i bake them and they seem to be eating that.

Back
Top Bottom