Help with restoring used coop

Elainethetrader

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2021
Victoria,BC Canada
Hi everyone

We got a used coop. We are so excited, but it needs some changes. There are walls, but we removed them for lighter transportation. Are these paints okay to use? Should we sand then paint? We need to build nesting boxes , roost, and cover some ventilation. Should we put some type of flooring? Am I missing anything?

20210506_200144.jpg
20210506_200728_06.jpg
20210506_200620_01.jpg
20210506_200137.jpg

Awesome!!
Those paints are okay. I would put a good primer on first.
You could sand, I don't think you need to. Whether you do or not you need the dirt and dust off if you want the paint to stick; a wire brush will do that faster and better than sanding.
i like Black Jack 57 for the floor, even more so for an old floor like yours.

Hello and welcome.

Where, in general, are you located? (You can add it to your profile). Climate matters and knowing will help us give you better advice.

It looks like a nice, airy design -- which is great because so many coops don't have near enough ventilation (1 square foot per adult, standard-sized hen),

It also looks like it's in good shape. I like barn paint, which is made to go onto rough, unprimed wood without special preparation, but using what you have is fine. I don't have anything on my coop floor, but many people use a scrap of sheet vinyl. The key is to keep it absolutely dry. :)

Here is my article on Deep Bedding to help you decide among the many options for manure management: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

Whether you mount your nest boxes inside or out. I like being able to access the boxes from outside the coop. For ease of cleaning and to maximize space in the coop. I prefer to mount the boxes on the outside. A lot of people say that they will leak. I have never had that happen with any of mine. Some of which are decades old.

Whether you mount your nest boxes inside or out. I like being able to access the boxes from outside the coop. For ease of cleaning and to maximize space in the coop. I prefer to mount the boxes on the outside. A lot of people say that they will leak. I have never had that happen with any of mine. Some of which are decades old.

Nest boxes that open with drop-down doors on the front leak less than ones where you open the lid.

Back
Top Bottom