Help With Rooster Selection

ChickenStacy

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 14, 2014
In the spring I've decided to add a rooster to my chick order. I will then have a total of 10 hens plus the rooster. However, I work nights and sleep in the days. Also, my daughter will be raising one of the chicks as her FHA projects. I free range my girls and live where there are tons of raccoons, opossums, skunks, coyotes, hawks and eagles. I am thinking that maybe a rooster can keep an eye on the girls and alert them to predators while I am sleeping during the day. With both of those facts in mind I need to select a breed for the rooster that isn't overly noisy, or aggressive to my children. I am not under the delusion that there is a silent rooster out there, I know they all crow and carry on. Are there some breeds that maybe tend to be less aggressive and a tad more quiet?

I am not sure yet. I usually go to Orschelins and pick some up, but I've been considering mypetchicken.com because my daughter wants her project hen to be a Columbian wynadotte and I've only seen laced wynadottes at Orschelins. Unless someone has a better idea of where to get them? I only have room for 6 more in my coop, though, so I cant mail order from a company that has a large order requirement

A breed is a breed,but genetics and stuff is what matters.

But if you want to get a good breed,there are a few I have in mind.

The New Hampshire red.they aren't usually aggressive towards humans,but roosters are roosters,they are meant to protect so you mess up and they may attack you.

Or,the Leg Horn.they aren't very calm,but they are not aggressive usually.

If I were you I would bye two cockerals,and wait and see which one turns out to be better,then sell the other 1.Cockerals have a time where they act out and show who is better.

I hadn't thought of getting 2 and doing the trial thing! I don't know many people to give a rooster to. I moved to another state a couple months ago and still haven't come around to socializing yet (my chickens and kids are all I REALLY need, right? LOL) I had a RIR a few years back who I swear was possessed. He was mean and evil to us and the girls! I know that each bird is an individual but I am scared of demon birds! LOL

Lol,well I would try to at least see if anybody wants a rooster,but you could also cull him,but I don't suggest that,because the rooster could be sweet,but he just doesn't have what you want.

I hadn't thought of getting 2 and doing the trial thing! I don't know many people to give a rooster to. I moved to another state a couple months ago and still haven't come around to socializing yet (my chickens and kids are all I REALLY need, right? LOL) I had a RIR a few years back who I swear was possessed. He was mean and evil to us and the girls! I know that each bird is an individual but I am scared of demon birds! LOL
RiR's can be aggressive,but the New Hampshire Red is much different,at least towards humans,but it can be evil towards chickens.

I am not sure yet. I usually go to Orschelins and pick some up, but I've been considering mypetchicken.com because my daughter wants her project hen to be a Columbian wynadotte and I've only seen laced wynadottes at Orschelins. Unless someone has a better idea of where to get them? I only have room for 6 more in my coop, though, so I cant mail order from a company that has a large order requirement
I ordered my My Pet Chicken and I am very happy with them! I ordered 10 and only one didn't survive the journey through the mail. It died on day two and was just a weakling, I don't think it reflects on My Pet Chicken or the post office, that's just how it is with chickens. The rest are all happy healthy chickens! I got two RIR from them and they are super friendly and docile. The sweetest one of the group (even all the other chickens love her) is our Australorp. The 3 Wyandottes I got (2 SLW, 1 GLW) are the most stand-off'ish, but not mean. The others I got were 3 Andelusians. I got them just to have something "different" not expecting them to be friendly. They are said to be flighty. Anyway, they are totally sweet and friendly! Love them to bits! In my signature line is my link to pictures I have been updating on them. They are fun!

Anyway, I have no experience with Roosters but I think I would recommend the Australorp just because the breed overall is so docile. They may be just plain 'ol black but their green shimmer in the sun is really pretty!

I wouldn't order a rooster chick unless I really wanted a specific breed. I'd wait and pick up someone's Oops bird later in the spring when the sex becomes apparent and they realize they can't keep the bird. By then you'll also have an idea of temperament as the bird will be older. Breeds like Orpingtons, Cochins, Brahmas and Australorps are known for being gentler than a lot of the dual purpose breeds. They're also all large birds when mature, so if you have smaller breeds of hens you may want to look for something a b it smaller. Most EE from hatcheries are not exceptionally large birds.

I second donrae. Craigslist and clubs swarm with unwanted males, and you could select a breed at your leisure, know if he was a good roosters, and help one find a good home. There are far too many good roosters who need homes, I can vouch personally.

Back
Top Bottom