Help with rooster!!!

The only thing that has worked for us is to hold the rooster, not upside down......right side up, tucked under your arm and held tight. Wear a long sleeve coat, it helps.

Somehow grab a hold of the rooster (get help if needed) and hold him REALLY tight. I found it best to tuck him under my left arm. Walk around with him (held tight) for at least 5 minutes at a time, but you MUST do it EVERY time you see him. They HATE it! Soon he will run away from you because he will associate you with being held.

Holy cow, this article is great!!! It's just what I needed. Thanks so much, Blue.

I have chicks hatching in the bator as we speak. I'm going to follow the advice in this article and see what happens. Of course, I won't know for a while, but it's worth a shot. The roo I'm having trouble with was great until he turned about a year old, then he turned into a turd!!!

Thanks again,

Lori

Hotwings and I often discuss chickens, and especially Jack, my rooster. He was a very nice rooster, Then at about 10 months or so, he started getting a little fiesty. We were wondering if these are just phases that roosters go thru. Kinda like puberty or something. then they really "grow up" and are alright again. I just don't think alot is known about this, because they are ususally discarded (so to speak) when they get this way. So does anyone know if as they age, they calm down, or just wise up? We know that hens can live to their teens but what about a rooster? They are usually long gone before then.

Back
Top Bottom