Help with roosters

Mike10

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 6, 2014
Hello everyone, I do not really post much but want to make sure I will be doing this right. I have 2 roosters and 3 hens. 1 has 2 and the other has 1. They have there separate coops and runs. They have free ranged and have been around each other. So I want to get rid of the rooster with both hens and then introduce the girls to the rooster with 1 hen. Once the rooster is gone I will have both coops in the same yard where they free range. I will split it so they get use to the fact they don't have there man for a week then take the fence of and let them free range together with the rooster and hen so they all start to know each other better.Of course at night they still will go to there own coops. I'll do that for about 3 to 4 weeks, then I'll put the girls in the same coop with them . Is this a good way to go about this.? Would like advice from anyone thanks.

Michael

With only one rooster you could put tem all together right away. It's when you have more than one rooster the fights break out over who's going to be king pen. The hens are going to have to figure out their pecking order no matter when you put them together.

With only one rooster you could put tem all together right away.  It's when you have more than one rooster the fights break out over who's going to be king pen. The hens are going to have to figure out their pecking order no matter when you put them together.

Won't it confuse the hens putting them with a new rooster so quickly after having a different one? I know about them figuring out here peck order. I just don't want to stress the girls from changing them to a new coop and rooster. Although they have seen him and been around him at times.

Thanks for your reply by the way

We have moved our hens to a new rooster before and I haven't had a problem with stressing the hens. They kept laying and seemed to adapt well.

I think that'll work.

But just curious, what are you doing with the rooster you are 'getting rid of'
fl.gif

We have moved our hens to a new rooster before and I haven't had a problem with stressing the hens. They kept laying and seemed to adapt well. 

Thank you. I will be doing so in the next week.

Sounds like that would work just fine! Sometimes going slow is not just less stressful on the birds, but also the humans! Lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom