Help with sex of 4 1/2 wk old bantams

realtreegirl

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 25, 2013
I got these 2 and I have no experience with these breeds to know it I have pullets or cockerals...I am hoping for pullets but if one is a roo I hope it is the brlw. And for those that have frizzles how old till they frizzle out more? Thanks guys :)

Black frizzle

Red blue laced Wyandotte

Ugh really I ordered a black frizzle! Thanks

If you order for "Frizzles" from a hatchery, there is a certain percentage that will be frizzles or smooth feathered. Most breeders like to breed chickens with the F gene and smooth feathered gene together. If two chickens with the Frizzle gene are bred together, 25% will result in "over-frizzling" called Curlies or Frazzles. This is undesirable, as Frazzles have brittle feathers (they will look barer than Normal Frizzles) and usually have the lethal gene. Here's a picture:

And here is a good thread about them:www.backyardchickens.com/t/101486/sizzle-frizzle-and-frazzle/10www.backyardchickens.com/t/101486/sizzle-frizzle-and-frazzle/10

The BLRW is looking like a cockerel, but its too young to tell for sure with both it and the Black Cochin. I would lean toward cockerel on the Black Cochin, though. Still, I could be wrong; I would post new photos in a few weeks.

Ok that makes sense figures I get a smooth :( Still love it...it is a sweet sweet bird. I will probably end up with 2 males lol 90% of my order was dead so it would figure i end up with 2 males. I just bought 8 bantams from TSC so hopefully a few of them will be females or I am gonna have some very unhappy boys!

Back
Top Bottom