Help with sexing duck and behavior!

Schrall

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2020
I have three ducks that are about six weeks old and almost fully feathered. I can't quite tell the sex of the ducks yet. Anyone have any idea? I can't tell by any of the quack. The brown one that does not have the white on the feather is picking on the other two for no reason. Anyone know what that's about? I only have the three.
3910FE8F-B4AC-4A94-B11A-ED6E9714A383.jpeg

Attachments

• A8D742DD-3BD4-480F-AE66-D299CFBD3EE3.jpeg
    A8D742DD-3BD4-480F-AE66-D299CFBD3EE3.jpeg
    315.4 KB · Views: 7
My guess is they are all female. The two brown ducks look like the Khaki Cambells I had. The boys had greenish heads. I don't see any drake feathers. This isn't always an identifier though. To my knowlege, it isn't unheard of for females to have them.
My drake has a low, raspy, quack He sounds out of breath. He never gets close to a real quack.

My guess is three drakes. One, you are not sure of the quacks. Female quacks are distinct. Two, the two Khaki’s appear to have really dark feathers above their tails. See photo below. The Pekin looks like it might have the start of a drake curl (but I am really guessing). And third, the majority of people who ask about genders bought their ducklings from Tractor Supply. Tractor supply buys their ducklings from a hatchery that sells sexed ducklings and so more drakes seem to end up there. I am guessing though. Your best bet is to post a video of their sound.
7B640E2C-7CC4-4065-8CBF-5B02D79A264F.jpeg

My guess is three drakes. One, you are not sure of the quacks. Female quacks are distinct. Two, the two Khaki’s appear to have really dark feathers above their tails. See photo below. The Pekin looks like it might have the start of a drake curl (but I am really guessing). And third, the majority of people who ask about genders bought their ducklings from Tractor Supply. Tractor supply buys their ducklings from a hatchery that sells sexed ducklings and so more drakes seem to end up there. I am guessing though. Your best bet is to post a video of their sound.
View attachment 3476234
Here's their backs. One is darker and it's the nicer one. The light one is the one being difficult!

Attachments

• B002F3A9-5B2D-4895-A573-A852ECB896D2.jpeg
    B002F3A9-5B2D-4895-A573-A852ECB896D2.jpeg
    626.8 KB · Views: 5
Here's their backs. One is darker and it's the nicer one. The light one is the one being difficult!
It is hard to tell with the baby fuzz but the dark one is definitely a drake. They often are the nice ones when young. I think it is how they sucker us into keeping them. The lighter one might be a female. Watch for two-toned feathers on the rear area.

Back
Top Bottom