Help with sick chicken

spride

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2017
One of my hens is in the same place as I last saw her yesterday .She has her butt up,puckering herself.There is no protrusion around the area,no poop or other discharge.I thought eggbound,but there is no sign of abnormality at the vent.Has someone had experience with something similar,and wha

Is she in a nest box or laying in the coop floor? How old is she and has she been laying eggs recently? Could she be broody? Can you pick her up, feel her over for weight loss especially around her breast bone. Look for missing feathers on her belly or chest. See what she does when you set her back down. Then feel of her crop right upper chest to check to see if it is full of food, puffy, or empty. Offer water and some chopped egg to see if she will take them. It may be suffering from dehydration, constipation, or failure to thrive.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response.I got a box to put her in and bring her inside.I was going to pick her up and examine her belly,etc.When I went back ,she had gotten off 4 eggs! So,she was brooding.I haven't had a broody chicken before,and I'm so glad she is ok.When they went in for the night,she was in the same place,although I'd taken the eggs.If she continues to set on any eggs she lays,I'm gonna let her set,now that I realize what's going on.While she helped me figure it out this time,I sure appreciate the fact that I can get advice when I have something I haven't dealt with yet!Thanks again.

You can also break her from being broody if you wish. It takes about 5 days total of being isolated in a dog crate or pen with no bedding, but a roost bar is good. If you wish her to sit on eggs, mark them with a date, and remove any eggs that get added by other hens.

Back
Top Bottom