Help with smell around the geese pen!!!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by littlehenny, Jun 20, 2009.

1. littlehenny

littlehenny Songster

Jun 10, 2009
    What can I use to help with the smell from the geese, and chickens! The heat is making it ten times worse! Anything, safe out there that works? Thanks

2. spook

spook Songster

Apr 21, 2008
    North Central Florida
    I used to keep a lot of sand and gravel around so when you need to wash it, you can use 1/2 c bleach in 2 gallons of water in a sprayer (like the pump and spray for insecticides) then give it a good rinse with a hose. The bleach shouldn't harm them, give the "pool" a good rinse, that is frequently one of the culprits for yuck smell.
    Just make sure you rinse well.
    Good luck!

3. catnip

catnip Songster

Mar 27, 2008
    Nebraska
    Get Stall Dry or Sweet PDZ to sprinke around on the gound. Helps with odors and helps fly control as well.

4. Windchyme

Windchyme Silkies n Sebs

Quote:I use that in my pens for chickens and everyone else, works great.

5. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Wondering about the suggested products being injested by waterfowl that drill and sift thru the soil so much???

6. BioBob

BioBob In the Brooder

May 14, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    I have recently discovered two things that helped my odor situation.

1. DE! (Diatomaceous Earth) I sprinkle it on the poo and it dries out immediately and NO Flies.

2. I changed feed! Someone on here was discussing DuMor feed (TSC) and how there was so much more poo from it. They were absolutely Spot On! I changed to a layer from a local grain mill and was absolutely amazed at the poo reduction. Less poo, less opportunity for smell, less DE, and fewer pine chips.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: