HELP with ventilation please, frostbite on comb

define high? I think it is not humidity that a problem but rather condensation. and dripping over chicken heads. E.g right at the moment for us it is 97% 32F outside, 90% 37F inside.

I.e. the coop humidity going to be only few percent dryer than outside and there is nothing you can do about it besides heating the coop.
I assumed the humidity plus their vapor/added air moisture in the coop plus the cold temps was an issue. We don’t deal with cold like this very often.

Our dew points are usually high along with the humidity making our air feel wet - like heavy, tropical, sticky. I’m in southeast Georgia (USA) close to the coast.

Frostbite happens regardless of how one tried to prevent it.
Some can say they haven't had a single issue in the same temps, but was it the same humidity, temps, same coop facing the same direction to prevailing winds, ect? Unless someone is my neighbor and has no frostbite issues, only then would I question my ventilation or coop setup.

Still wish it didn't happen.
Thank you. Me too. I didn’t realize that it was something that could just happen, even with the right amount of ventilation.

We live in SE Georgia where it is normally hot and humid. It's been abnormally cold and windy for a couple weeks, but naturally we still have the humidity. We can handle the hot, we know what to do, but this cold and damp is different.

It is cold and windy today. Tonight, it is going to be 24 with 20+mph winds, so the wind chill will be in the teens. (temps are Fahrenheit)

My coop is a 10x12 converted shed with several large windows as well as ventilation we added in the roof peaks. This ventilation works well for us in our normal climate.

Currently, the inside temp is the same as the outside temp. So, at night it's been 30 outside - inside temp is the same.

No drafts, no unsealed holes. There is no condensation inside - walls, ceiling, or windows. The floor is suspended, wood, and I have it covered with vinyl flooring for easy clean up. I have about 4 inches of pine shavings on the floor. I cannot smell any ammonia. Their roost is about 4.5 feet off the floor with a poop tray underneath that I clean daily. I use DE and PDZ on the poop tray, but have added dry shavings daily to help with the cooler temps. Since the roost is near the wall - which is uninsulated metal - I hung curtains a week or so ago as a barrier between them and the wall, so they wouldn't be directly up against the cold metal. Behind the roost only, not the whole coop. Just used what I had to be frugal, since we don't normally need to winterize much, and it won't be up there long.

Seven chickens, big walk-in coop space with high ceilings.

I have been closing the windows and the pop door. Windows are the same height as their roosts. Pop door is, of course, on the floor.

*I'll post a picture of the roost, window, pop door relation.

This morning, I have two chickens with mild frostbite on their combs. Obviously, that is moisture related and likely due to our humidity combined with the abnormally cold, windy temps. I can't change the humidity. I keep the coop clean and dry.

My question: Should I keep the pop door open to increase circulation from the floor up to the roof vents? What else can I do?
I’m in a much colder climate than you (0 F last night and tonight) and my chickens have been spared frostbite so far. This may be due to the breeds I have. I’ve left my coop unheated on nights that go down to ten, which is more typical here in winter. When it dips below that, I have an electric space heater that works with my phone app. It’s running right now. One thing I’ve come to like about it is not only does it quickly heat the coop 20 degrees above ambient, but it also quickly brings down humidity. As you point out, humidity plays a key role in frostbite. My coop is well ventilated with no drafts, but also no insulation. I think with my arrangement I am doing well uninsulated. One serendipitous plus for my coop— we built a hoop coop, but used greenhouse grade tarp rather than heavy dark tarp. This lets in plenty of natural sunlight during the day and, on those days when we don’t let the chickens out, the greenhouse effect can heat it to 60 degrees even on a very cold winter day, with no added heat. I’m sure the warmth coupled with sunlight lifts their spirits.

I’m in a much colder climate than you (0 F last night and tonight) and my chickens have been spared frostbite so far. This may be due to the breeds I have. I’ve left my coop unheated on nights that go down to ten, which is more typical here in winter. When it dips below that, I have an electric space heater that works with my phone app. It’s running right now. One thing I’ve come to like about it is not only does it quickly heat the coop 20 degrees above ambient, but it also quickly brings down humidity. As you point out, humidity plays a key role in frostbite. My coop is well ventilated with no drafts, but also no insulation. I think with my arrangement I am doing well uninsulated. One serendipitous plus for my coop— we built a hoop coop, but used greenhouse grade tarp rather than heavy dark tarp. This lets in plenty of natural sunlight during the day and, on those days when we don’t let the chickens out, the greenhouse effect can heat it to 60 degrees even on a very cold winter day, with no added heat. I’m sure the warmth coupled with sunlight lifts their spirits.
Your coop sounds neat! Do have pictures?

Some as I was building. Soffits are open. Each side is hinged so they can be opened or closed according to wind direction.
Coop is 6x8. Six gals and one rooster in this coop. This pic shows the hinged area. Roof hasn't been installed at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_20190311_133617511.jpg
    IMG_20190311_133617511.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 8
Our dew points are usually high along with the humidity making our air feel wet - like heavy, tropical, sticky. I’m in southeast Georgia (USA) close to the coast.

There is really very little you can do about coastal humidity.

If the coop is the same humidity as the outside air then you've got all the ventilation that can be had and what happens is in the hands of nature.

Back
Top Bottom