Help with website creation

geareduplyn

Songster
11 Years
Jun 2, 2008
Salley SC
I have been researching website creation online. I would appreciate any input I could get on how others have done it. Who do do think is the best web host for the money etc. I have found a couple of sites with tutorials which I will definitely need. I'm an avid do it yourselfer, but this may be beyond me.

I also will be most interested in this subject, as I need to biuld a "business" website and I wanted to have a go myself.....any advice totally appreciated. Have also looked at the Orange.co.uk build your own site which is quite interesting (to me anyway), shows step by step guide.

Gary,

I use 'Go Daddy' as I purchase my domain names through them. They have a 'web site tonight' feature which isn't too hard to navigate to get your own manageable site going. Go Daddy is releltively inexpensive and I am most certainly on a budget.

I have one for my hunting business and just started one for my chickens two days ago. Click on my link under my name to see it. I need to add a few more photos and will do so after the weekend. I'll be away deer hunting tomorrow through Tuesday.

I can help you some over the phone one evening too if you want. You should have a photo editing software program (photoshop) if you don't already. It is not hard, but does take a little time to do more than anything else.

EDIT: I should add there are a lot of free web site set ups out there but you have to allow advertising junk all over it and I think that is distracting. I'd rather pay a very nominal fee to have a nice and clean set of pages.

Last edited:
I work on a couple of sites for guinea pig clubs. They are both with Tripod. My biggest complaint is the ads that pop up for people visiting. The site itself isn't hard and I am presently building a breeding site myself. I now have a webshots photo page I have used for years with the pigs. I am limited to the amount of information I can post to only with each picture. Not about sale terms or care information like you can with a normal website. I think once I have my new site done I will see about an upgrade to keep away the ads.

Net firms has a great free "basic" plan then all you have to do is buy your domain.. After your site starts to make some cash you can move up to the 60.00 a year plan and have more space then you will ever need or want. They support Front Page too whitch makes it great. not all hosts do support FP.

Quote:
Your easiest bet, if you just want a site to post text and pictures on, would be to sign up as a 'blogger' on wordpress.com

The service is free and it will take care of the nitty-gritty of HTML, has a lot of customization that you can just choose, a nice post/upload interface and best of all;- it promotes the content of your site so that other like-minded individuals can easily find it on yahoo or google search, as well as through other means.

If you need help getting going, PM me. I think I can find some time to help you out on the weekend.

Cheers,

Tom

P.S. A wordpress blog can be as intricate as: http://blog.tsphotography.ca/ or as simple as http://www.organicexperiment.com (either took a bit less than an hour to set up and run!)

Quote:
I am launching an e-store next month and I've decided to go with Volusion. I've tried the free tiral to see if I can do it, and it was a little confusing at first, but I did manage to add products and pictures, and make a coupon, and it looked completely professionl. So that's what I'm gonna use.

Intuit - http://www.homestead.com/ - has a nice looking site building program, but the plan I would need is too pricey over there.

Good luck,

J

Last edited:
I used Macromedia's Dreamweaver program to build my site. I also use sites like http://www.dynamicdrive.com for html scripts and java scripts to add some pizazz or handy things like scrolling slideshows, etc.

I host through a friend of mine.... not sure who the best hosts are these days. A lot of people seem to like Yahoo.

Edited to add... It was all Greek to me at first... but with so much info found online you can find answers to everything and step by step tutorials
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom