Help with what do I feed my girls

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by terrikt52, Sep 27, 2016.

1. terrikt52

terrikt52 New Egg

Apr 10, 2016
    Can anyone tell me what to feed my girls to get organic eggs. I have organic food already. But what else can I feed them. Thanks so much.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Well, anything organic. Their main commercial ration should make up 90% or more of the diet, but you could supplement them with small amounts of fresh organic fruits and veggies - some great options include lettuce, tomatoes, and watermelon - chickens especially love watermelon. If you can find it, organic scratch would make a great treat, but make sure to feed it as a treat only - it's a lot like candy for chickens and chickens, like children, will eat too much of it if given the chance. You can even offer items like meat or dairy - it is actually very healthy for them to have small amounts of these high protein foods, as they are naturally omnivores. Some great examples would be ground beef, scrambled eggs, and yogurt.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Great suggestions by Queen!

Not sure how your winters are, or if you free range. I do, but we get snow! So, I do the fodder. It's soooo easy to do. Look it up on youtube. They love having the green stuff in the winter, and it's very good for them. Sometimes my flock likes spinach, sometimes not, but they always love the fodder.

Here is some that is only about 4 days along..it grows really fast!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a good thread on it. Started a while back, but it goes up to this yr.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/713334/growing-fodder-for-chickens

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    2 people like this.
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Looks like you received some great links already so I'll just say good luck and best wishes!! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello and welcome to Backyard chickens! Cynthia and Misha gave you great advice!! Have fun on BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by