Help with wry neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by koakritters, Jun 15, 2013.

1. koakritters

koakritters Songster

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    my little girl has been dealing with this for a week now. I've been giving her the poly vi sol several times a day and she gets a bit better than goes a lot worse... she'll eat and drink when you put water and mushy food in front of her and sometimes wanders around the room backwards but most of the time she just sits there with her head upside down. any suggestions on what else i can try?

2. K R 2709

K R 2709 Chirping

May 21, 2013
    BC, Canada
    Could you post a picture?

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi I'm nursing my bird with wry neck now
    Just shoot me a PM and I'd be more than happy to help you! What I'm giving is vitamins E and selenium which is very important for absorbtion of the vitamin E and vitamin B and liquid children's vitimins polyvisol without iron and predinsone. Its Alan Stanford's treatment for wry neck
    You can look it up and it will give you exact doses
    I'm very happy to help you and answer any questions you have
    Just PM me and I'll help you
    Good luck! Have patience this takes time to heal
    I'm here if you need me
    God bless!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  4. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Also I wanted to add she will need more than polyvisol.she will also need vitamin E capsules and selenium to help process the E and vitamin B along with the polyvisol. I'm also giving my bird predinsone. It helps with brain swelling. You can also give Bayer low dose children's aspirin. If you have any questions on anything just PM me and I'll be very happy to explain. But for now you will need to get the vitamin E capsules and vitamin B and selenium. Selenium is given in very small amounts or it can be too much but its a very important part of the treatment as without it they can not absorb the vitiman E. I'm also giving predinsone as I mentioned. I'll be happy to explain what everything does and how to get it if you like to know. Just give me a Private message and I'll explain. Hope this is helpful. You are not alone in this! Nursing wry neck takes patience and dedication but you can do it! Don't give up! I'm here for you even if you just want to talk. In time I'm sure your bird will recover. Sometimes recovery is slow with wry neck so don't be discouraged! You can. do this! I'm happy to help in anyway i can. Best wishe's and God bless!

5. koakritters

koakritters Songster

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    d you get the vit e and selenium at a market like safeway then? i have vit b complex and vit b 12 tablets already would that work? and i think i have some childrens asprin still around here...

6. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Songster

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I am also nursing a 5 week old rooster with wry neck I believe, started last night with the vit E and polyvisol, I need to find selenium and the vit B.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  7. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I got my selenium at the Target store. Looked in four different places before I finally found it. They say its extremely important for the absorbtion of the vitamin E however only use a small amount each day as it can be toxic in large quantity.I take and quarter a pill and take one small quarter and crush it over her food. I'm giving all the vitamins in her food. and the B vitamin in her water. The only pill I'm giving orally is predinsone. If you can't get a hold of the predinsone you can use fish oil. Fish oil is a natural steroid. But if you can get the predinsone. You can use your prescription or get one from the vet
    If you can get a vet OK by phone you can get it from 1800 petmeds. I got my first RX from the vet but he only gave me six pills and that's not enough so I had my own doctor call me in a RX for predinsone that's how I got the rest of the tablets. I'm following Alan Stanford's treatment plan for wry neck. But I've heard you can substitute the predinsone for fish oil as it acts as a natural steroid. The steroid is used for the brain swelling. Hope your bird is doing better . please keep us posted
    Healing can be slow so don't get discouraged. Have patience and your bird should pull through just fine
    I'm going on my second week of treatment for my bird
    She has improved as she is eating and drinking for me thank God. In the beginning she couldn't do that. Hope this helps. Good luck.

8. koakritters

koakritters Songster

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    she gets better than worse. this afternoon she was up and walking normally, i put her outside and she walked about 20 feet over to and then into the coop to see her friends and get some of their treats, now she's back to being unable to keep her head up... :[ it's so frustrating. I'm just glad i have tomorrow off so i can be around all day and help her more.

i'll go looking tomorrow for selenium and vitamin 3, i do have electrolytes in her water that have the vit e but i don't think it's enough.

9. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Songster

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    My red is going back and forth as well, it is frustrating, you see him with his head somewhat up but never with the neck outstretched and I think maybe by morning he will show improvement but then in the morning he is completely upside down again. Is this always caused by brain swelling or can it happen just from a vitamin deficiency? I hear it is easy for silkies to have brain trauma because a portion of the brain is outside the skull but my bird is a NH Red and they have all been in a decent sized brooder with a soft screen from a window over the top so even if he flew up into that I wouldn't think it would do damage like this, and I haven't seen nor does he look like he's been beat up by the chicks, they all seem to get along.

10. koakritters

koakritters Songster

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    i got 400 iu vit 3 liquid soft gels and 200 mcg selenium soft gels, how much should i give of each?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: