help with young cochin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by itay, Dec 31, 2010.

1. itay

itay Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Israel
    Dear Friends,
    I would like to ask your help.
    it is my first time growing cochins (I had only pekins until today). I've nice white cochin LF , 2 months old.
    they are not so strong yet , very gentle and requires special attention.
    at the last 2 weeks , the young cockerel make me worry. his wattles developed like it full of liquid , I never saw something like that.
    it is my first cochin , can someone tell me please if it normal ?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=204705&l=678a9e053e&id=100001333385717

regards
    Itay

2. lilcrow

lilcrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    Hummmmm............no, that's not normal, but I don't know what the problem is. I've never seen anything like that. Very odd. He's VERY cute! Wait a bit and maybe someone with more experience will have an answer.
    Nancy

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
  4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't know but I have two cochins that are 12 weeks and wattles are still small. I'll try to post a pic.

5. itay

itay Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Israel
    Quote:thanks,
    sure , he is separated already , 24 hours hit-lamp , and I hope that he is o.k

6. lilcrow

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    Any changes?

7. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Please fill out.

1) What type of bird, age and weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

8. itay

itay Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Israel
    Quote:thanks for asking. the only positive thing that I can say that he still alive.
    I am almost 100% sure that it's cholera. I am using some kind of antibiotics , but I will get another one tomorrow that suppose to help.
    he is very important to me. as far as I know it is the only white cochin is Israel.

regards
    Itay

9. lilcrow

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    Quote:thanks for asking. the only positive thing that I can say that he still alive.
    I am almost 100% sure that it's cholera. I am using some kind of antibiotics , but I will get another one tomorrow that suppose to help.
    he is very important to me. as far as I know it is the only white cochin is Israel.

regards
    Itay

Do you know what the antibiotic is? According to the information that I have from a VERY reliable source and extremely respected person a sulfa based medication like Sulmet would work best for cholera. The generic name is sulfamethazine if you can find it in its generic state. I hate to tell you this, but even if you save him, if it is cholera, he will remain a carrier of the disease. I don't know if you used him to artificially inseminate your hens if the semen would be contaminated or not. You might try checking around at some of the veterinary universities and ask them if he could be used safely that way. If you can, once you get some of his off spring, it might be best to have him euthanized. Since he can never be back with any of the other birds without infecting them, he will lead a very lonely life.
    I'm so sorry if this is the problem. Please keep me updated on his symptoms. Is he feeling sick?
    Nancy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by