Help wormer question

jmsissy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 15, 2009
I heard that you can get diameteous earth (for worms) at lowes. I am here now and they have a brand called safer BUT...it says it has other baits in it. :as anyone used this? I'm sitting out in the parking lot waiting for an answer as I have a long drive home. Someone please help. I don't want to kill my chickens.
Thanks,
Sissy

Well I ran down to the feed store and got the food grade stuff. Now I have to figure out how much to put in their feed. I feel much better getting it at the feed store.
Sissy

Oh my gosh!!!! You did the right thing. The stuff called safer has poisons in it plus DE. I'm glad you went to the feed store.WHEW!!!

It scared me when I read the bag but the thing is I was on a site and they were telling everyone to get it at lowes or depot. Well I work at lowes so went and read the bag. While I was waiting for an answer in the parking lot I googled it to see where I could get food grade and it said a lot of feed stores carry it so off I went. I sure am glad I did now. I would have been sick if I would of killed my guys. Glad I read the bag and just didn't take someones word on it.
Sissy

I haven't heard of people putting DE in the chickens food before. Why, how and how much do you put in the feed?

Do NOT get your DE at a hardware store. If you ever feed DE to help possibly decrease parasite risks, it should only be human food-grade DE, preferably freshwater. Using garden or pool DE is harmful as it's a way different sharpness and not at all recommended for consumption.

DE is used to help control worms hopefully, but will not prevent them totally. Only a worming program will really do that, and then it doesn't even prevent all worms. It just decreases the numbers that might be in your bird for a while.

Worms, in the intestines, literally borrow into the sides of the gut. For every place they burrow, a scar eventually forms causing a lack of digestion in that spot. Additionally, any time the protective lining of the intesting is breached, you risk undigested foods and proteins entering the bloodstream o f the bird too early and causing health issues. Nevermind all the nutrition they're literally stealing from your birds. So that's why I personally recommend a twice-annual worming with a broad spectrum wormer, and then using DE in between in their environment.

I like to avoid chemicals whenever possible. But as strong a 'naturalist' as I am, my many years with chickens and livestock have taught me when a few chemicals are really worth using.

Use DE, but always food grade, and then worm 2x's a year anyway.

By the way, i've used DE in my chickens' food ages ago for a number of years. I found that 'then and now' are about the same because of my worming program. Because I only used freshwater human-grade food-grade DE, I had no problems with the birds using it less than 2% the weight (not volume) of my feed. In fact, I used to be chided about using DE and more natural products.
smile.png
Not so much now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom