Help! Worse than I thought..leg mites AND bumble foot

happylittlehens

Songster
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
Utah
I posted yesterday about having 1 case of scaly leg mite. After doing a through check on each of my 15 hens, I have 3 for sure cases and maybe 2 others. Can I treat the whole flock with ivermectin? I have 3 pullets (15 weeks), that are showing no signs. Should I treat them anyway? Also, I found 2 with bumble foot:hitI must admit with the busy summer I have not been as diligent in checking them as I normally am. I feel horrible I have missed this! No one is limping or acting weird. Here are the pics of bumble. 1 poor leghorn has one in each foot! Please help! What supplies do I need to remove them and will they be ok until next weekend when I can take a day to do ‘surgeries’?
3BD0146D-63F7-40F0-B1FD-DA2438F9A978.jpeg
BF38946F-6492-4D82-B4DE-6A2283417AF0.jpeg
F20426EE-D635-47E1-A25C-34D0C280766C.jpeg

Yes you can and probably should treat everyone for the mites.
The bumble feet will be ok until you have more time. I wouldn’t wait too long but rushing isn’t helpful either.
Thanks! The leghorn with one in each foot... should I do both at the same time? Or should I do one and let it heal before I do the other?

Thanks! The leghorn with one in each foot... should I do both at the same time? Or should I do one and let it heal before I do the other?
I would do the worst of the feet first. See how it goes. It may not be as bad as it looks. If she seems ok then you could do the other foot. If she seems stressed and uncomfortable you could wait.
The one on the toe looks the worst of the three pictures. That looks like the other hen with only one bumble.

Back
Top Bottom