Help wounded pullet !!!

Johnpm72

Hatching
11 Years
May 16, 2008
I let my Chickens free range during the afternoon and when it starts to get dark they all go into the coop.... i closed the coop last night as normal. Today I found a pile of feathers like a chicken got attacked. They were from yesterday because they were still in their run today. I found the wounded girl and it looks like a hole is torn in her leg and a bunch of feathers torn out. no blood though. i picked off some lose feathers and kind of filled the hole with Neosporin antibiotic ointment. What else should i do? Any other suggestions would greatly appreciated.

Thanks John

resized%20wound.jpg

Blu-Kote on the wound, for anti-infective properties and to avoid pecking. Lotsa discussions here about this - search this site for 'blu-kote' if you like. Easily available in many forms, at most feed or supply stores. Good luck!

The other chickens dont seem to be pecking at her. Feed stores are closed until mon. im worried about infection. I filled the hole with Neosporin ointment. This is a bigger and better pic......... thanks for your help !!!
wound.JPG

I'd separate her for a couple of days, at least, until the wound closes. Keep her in a nice clean environment. As long as the wound isn't visible when she's walking around, and the others aren't pecking at her, she'll be ok.

Years ago, a neighbor's dog got out of it's kennel and killed some of my flock. One of my hens was badly injured. There was a big chunk of flesh and feathers missing from her back. I could see her innards through the thin membrane that was left. I put her in a big box in the house, and put Neosporine on the wound several times a day. That not only kept her from getting infection, but kept the membrane from drying out and cracking. Eventually the skin grew back as well as many of the feathers. She had a bald spot on her back about the size of a silver dollar which she learned to cover by holding her wing back a little. That bird turned out to be my second best layer ever.
smile.png

You can mix up a salt water solution to clean it out really well, fill it up with neopsorin just as you are doing and spread it around the top( which I'm sure your already doing)

Salt water will help draw out any infection.

Some excellent stuff you can only get at the vet is called Derma-Gel or Derma-Spray. This stuff is good to have on hand for punctures, gapes and minor abrasions.

My opinion of Blue Kote is all it does is help keep flys away.

But do what you feel is right.

Thanks for your advise...ill keep a close eye on her today and if they seem to bother her ill take her in.....thanks again

Back
Top Bottom