Help wth atching asap please

regertif

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2015
Hi I am on day 26 I have a ton of eggs that did not hatch, we only had 4 of36 hatch and one other that died trying to hatch. So we took the eggs out of the incubator to make more room for one that hatch a few days ago that we with has spraddle leg. I heard one of the eggs chirping, we noticed a tiny hole and white membrane, freaked out my husband peeled all the shell off we wet the membrane but do notice a little blood. We put it back in the incubator wrapped in a warm damp wash cloth. it is still in the membrane and in egg shape, movement and chirping is slowing. helpppppp. Also any advice on the possible spraddle leg chic would be appreciated

Wet the membrane down really well with warm water(avoiding the chick's pip hole) and tell me what you see in the way of veins. If you have removed the entire shell, you should be able to determine if the yolk sac is absorbed as well.

If you have help get someone to prepare you a warm area to work, a heat lamp or space heater.

The yolk sac should look like a little yellow/orange sac attached to the belly between the legs.

If you do a search here for splayed leg you'll see methods for making boots for the chick and taping legs proper distance apart. With small thin card board and band aids you force the feet in proper position. It's do the the toes being curled that they can't stand and that in turn splays out a leg. The sooner you attempt to correct this the better the chance of recovery.

You have to stop assisting for a time if encountering blood. Pace yourself.

Link for assisted hatching:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/9316/intervention-helping-your-chicks-hatch

Link for splayed leg:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/41693/spraddle-leg-splay-leg-treatment-instructions

It's too balled up to see the yolk sac. the veins are bright red and bleeding in some spots. it's moving it's head and chirping. one foot and a little bit of it's head is free from the sac.

Side note is your temperature was too low and will have to be incressed your next incubation. I realize it's not pertinent to your current chicks but something to keep in mind.

Back
Top Bottom