Help! Yellow Jackets

WindingRoad

Crowing
Nov 21, 2018
Maine
I was getting ready to paint coop. Moved a heavy tub of marigolds and got stung by Yellow Jackets. I think they are yellow jackets because "nest" was under pot on the ground. About 5 stings. Will get some wasp spray today. Will these yellow attack and sting my birds. Right now they are outside of the coop and run.

I was getting ready to paint coop. Moved a heavy tub of marigolds and got stung by Yellow Jackets. I think they are yellow jackets because "nest" was under pot on the ground. About 5 stings. Will get some wasp spray today. Will these yellow attack and sting my birds. Right now they are outside of the coop and run.
I have seen my amauricana hens peck them up and eat them, I throw compost including fruit scraps into the pen which naturally attracts wasps and flies, the hens consider them tasty treats, they sometimes even peck them right out of the air

I have seen my amauricana hens peck them up and eat them, I throw compost including fruit scraps into the pen which naturally attracts wasps and flies, the hens consider them tasty treats, they sometimes even peck them right out of the air
Thanks. I've been surfing Google and wd40 seems to work but not sure how close I can get.

My DS#3 found a yellowjacket nest the other day -- by sticking a shovel straight into it!

Use good quality wasp spray of the kind that squirts in a powerful, tight stream. And keep your chickens, other pets, and kids away from the area for a good long time because that stuff is VICIOUSLY toxic.

When I was young my Dad would take out yellowjacket nests in the lawn by pouring gasoline down the hole and throwing a match. :eek:

My DS#3 found a yellowjacket nest the other day -- by sticking a shovel straight into it!

Use good quality wasp spray of the kind that squirts in a powerful, tight stream. And keep your chickens, other pets, and kids away from the area for a good long time because that stuff is VICIOUSLY toxic.

When I was young my Dad would take out yellowjacket nests in the lawn by pouring gasoline down the hole and throwing a match. :eek:
I'm severely allergic to bees and wasp. So when I stumbled on a huge ground nest with multiple entrance. I had the hubby dump about 3 gallons of gas and torch them down!

I noticed you have been a BYC member for a few months but this is your first post, :welcome :frow.

You don't need to use fire if you use just gasoline. It will knock down wasps and yellow jackets instantly, they will hit the ground and die in a few seconds. It kills the pupa too, some will struggle and try to emerge but within ten seconds they are dead.

Back
Top Bottom