HELP!! Young chickens vanished without a trace!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Betsy, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Betsy

Betsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northeast Indiana
    Last night I counted my batch of three month old chicks..and three were missing!! I counted them twice this morning, and was still off three! It's driving me nuts because their pen can't be anymore secure-one side is my hen house, the other three are made out of chain link fencing and we've made a lean to of tin on one side to give them shelter. The bottom is mostly surround by wood and rocks, and I see no signs of digging. The top is covered with snow fence so hawks can't get in. I haven't seen signs of blood, feathers etc and it seems like if a rat, weasel, or snake got in I would see something like feathers or blood. Is it possible that it's a human predator??
    Thanks for any help-this is really concerning me!!

2. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    I've read that coons can reach in and grab chicks. Are they small enough to fit through the fence?

3. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Snakes won't leave blood or feathers but I can't see 1 snake eating three 3 month olds.

4. Betsy

Betsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northeast Indiana
    No, they're not big enough to fit through the fence..and at night when the coons are out they're in their lean to where the coons can't reach through.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I would say a snake would be a possibility. They will leave no trace of blood and they will just leave with three bumps...

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Is the top of the run secure with no small openings? I had a raccoon squeeze between the top netting and the gate once and kill 6 of my birds. Took me a couple days to find the spot where they were getting in. Hope you find them safe and just wondering about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by