1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Pussy Willow, Feb 22, 2016.

1. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    That's good to hear. Glad there is improvement.

Drakes don't quack or honk. They make a raspy noise. If your duck is "honking" it's probably a girl.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

.... I feel a little awkward, but I recall honking coming from my girls as their voices matured.....

3. Pussy Willow

Pussy Willow Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2016
    AUSTRALIA
    Really? I thought a male Muscovy makes a honking sound?

I will love it either way but might have to change it's name from Edgar to Edwina.

Is there any other way I will be able to determine it's gender?

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Forgive me - - - I lost track that they are Muscovy. sigh. I just don't know about Muscovy voices. @Miss Lydia ?

5. tmorgan46

tmorgan46 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Stafford, VA
    None of our Muscovies "honk". I need to record some of the different noises they make and post them here! Well, guess I know what I'll be doing today...
    Anyhow, here's what we've heard - females make a soft twill or coo sound. @Miss Lydia really does explain much better than I ever will. Drakes on the other hand hiss. I have heard our females kind of honk when running away from something stressing them or when fighting with each other. I have a very hard time calling it a honk but that might be the closest to the way to describe although a cough might also describe it.

Now, to find that mic and voice activated recorder...

6. tlee1956

tlee1956 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2015
    Idaho
    I've got another question about the brewer's yeast. I bought some yesterday on my way home after a total impulse buy of a lone little Roeun duckling when I picked up a few more chicks at the feed store. (I've been wanting Ancona ducks for some time, but this little guy was all alone and I felt bad for him/her.) So, my question is, will adding the proper amount of yeast for the duckling have adverse effects on the chicks? Any other advice about brooding Tonto together with chooks is appreciated too. First ducky for me.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I never hear honking either unless one is stress out like when I catch them to clip a wing. Never have heard a drake honk, like tmorgan says the drakes hiss and huff. the females trill and coo. I love their sounds..

1 person likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have used brewers yeast on my feed when feeding all my birds ducks geese and chickens i have never seen any harmful effects from it.
    Bless you for bringing the lil one home.
    Tonto will make the brooder very wet they love playing in their water but he really needs the company of other poulrty unless you have another feed store not too far away and can find Tonto a buddy they really do like their own for company and then 2 brooders would be best since duckling as so messy.

here's some really good info on raising ducklings https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  9. Pussy Willow

Pussy Willow Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2016
    AUSTRALIA
    Here is a picture of the two ducks. Edgar is the white duck and Bukowski is the one under the sun chair.

Can anyone determine the gender from this?[​IMG]

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I cannot, but wow! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by