Help

Lesean2016

Songster
7 Years
Mar 30, 2016
John's Island South Carolina
My broody hen has been sitting on eggs. They have started hatching. Two so far have hatched perfectly. Two more have started. The hen stepped on them and crushed the shell. What should I do? Both are breathing and peeping. One has blood visible.

Do you have a bator? If it were me I would place in a bator to keep them warm. Let them rest. They need time to absorb the blood left in the vessels and any yolk that may still be present. Can you see inside those holes to see if the yolk sac is still present? I don't think that they can hatch the way they are. I think ultimately they will need to be assisted. With that said if they do survive and you are able to get them hatched I think you should be able to slip them back in with mom. I have added chicks under my broodies before when I wanted them to raise chicks for me. I have always been successful. But I am getting ahead of the game. First you need to get them through this point.

Thanks for replying. I do not have an incubator . One finished hatching fine. The one that was crushed the most i think was to soon. It still has some of the yolk sac present outside its body. It's not active like the others but it is peeping loudly in response to the others sounds and it will stretch and move around. I expect it won't survive. I've kept them wrapped in hot moist towels through out the hatching. I'm not sure what else I can for the one. It's not a large amount of sac. More like a stump of sorts but definitely not like the other chicks.

Do you have a heat lamp that you can set up? You will need to be really careful that it does not get overheated because it will not be able to move to a cooler area. Try to keep the temp between 95-100 if you have one and you are able. I have had chicks hatch with yolk sac still present that I have placed in a tea cup and it has finished absorbing and the chick did just fine. I think the key would be that this little one is kept warm enough while it finished absorbing. Keep me posted. I will pray for your little peeps.

The little one made it through the night and the stump is much more absorbed. It is still very weak and not standing. Any thoughts on what I can do to give it a chance? I've read sugar water or baby vitamins can help.

Are they both out of the shell?

Nutra Drench for me has literally been a life saver. If you can put a drop or two or more if they will take it on the side of their beaks. Be sure not to get it in the nostrils and that you are not forcing it down the mouth as it will cause them to aspirate and could kill them. I would give a few drops every hour and keep warm. The nutra drench will help to give them a kick start. Then once they are up and moving a little more add some to their water for the first few days.

I have never used Save a Chick but it works in much the same way. As for the baby vitamins you can use Poli Vi Sol but make sure that is does not contain any iron. Iron is really bad for them. If you are not sure which ones have iron and which do not ask the pharmacist.

Another thing you can do is replace the water with plain/clear pedialyte. That too you get in the baby section. It has no flavor and will drink in place of water.

The fact that they survived the night is big. They may just have a chance.

Yes they both hatched completely. One is doing great, fluffy and active. The other is still weak and not active. Iv been doing water with sugar and tiny amount of salt every 30-45 minutes. It takes it down fine. It peeps strong but just is not moving on its own well at all. I'll try to get some of the Nutra drench today when I go out. I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing. I figure it will survive or it won't. If it does it'll be one strong little peep.

Back
Top Bottom