Help

If my poor quality birds have offended you, I apologize. I will leave the group. I thought this group was for help not to demean people or their chicks.
Please don't leave... I'm sure no one meant to offend you. Sorry I can't help with breed suggestions, as I am new to chickens... whatever they are, they are adorable & I'm sure they will be great chicks even if they don't meet "breeder quality standards". I have ordered from a hatchery twice, and even if the chicks weren't "perfect", they were/are so much fun to have. Good luck!

MPC has so many "designer" crosses they've come out with, it's going to be all but impossible to identify some of their birds. They're not "breeds" per se, so don't have a standard look.

Saying a bird is poor quality isn't meant to demean. It's simply a fact that most hatchery birds aren't bred to the Standard of Perfection. Most of us have a yard full of poor quality birds we love and think the world of. Doesn't mean there's a thing wrong with the bird, just that it's not show quality.

I did not realize when I joined the group that only "show quality" was the only acceptable chicks. At my age I simply wanted a little hobby. I do not want or need to be talked down to over a pet chicken.

I did not realize when I joined the group that only "show quality" was the only acceptable chicks. At my age I simply wanted a little hobby. I do not want or need to be talked down to over a pet chicken.
You don't have to have "show quality" birds to be a part of BYC. No one is talking you down, we were just letting you know that GLW don't look like that unless they were bred wrong. None of my birds are show quality, they are my pets and they give me eggs, that is all that matters to me.

Last edited:

I did not realize when I joined the group that only "show quality" was the only acceptable chicks.  At my age I simply wanted a little hobby.  I do not want or need to be talked down to over a pet chicken.

You don't have to have "show quality" birds to be a part of BYC. No one is talking you down, we were just letting you know that GLW don't look like that unless they were bred wrong. None of my birds are show quality, they are my pets and they give me eggs, that is all that matters to me. 
X2 well said. I think a large majority of BYCers own "nonshow quality" chickens. They're some of the best!

GLW = Gold Laced Wyandotte

welcome-byc.gif
We have 5 RIR, that is, sold as RIR (Rhode Island Reds) ... they are Production Reds, and we love them. This really is a good website, stick around please. They are our pets and give nice brown eggs.

Last edited:
Sorry, no disrespect or hurt feeling were meant. Just trying to explain why I thought it was a GLW. Sorry again for any hurt feelings.

Back
Top Bottom