Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by allyoop, Aug 12, 2016.

1. allyoop

allyoop New Egg

Aug 12, 2016
    Thank you for accepting me to the group. It is nice to have a place to ask for help or share successes. I cracked open one of my eggs and found something that slightly concerned me. I see on other posts that they are calcium deposits on the exterior of the egg, but i found them inside the egg. I wasn't sure if this was a problem or should I be adding or subtracting something from their intake of food. They eat exclusively organic layer food, sunflower seeds, mealworms and they are total free range.
    [​IMG]

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    :welcome

I wouldn't be concerned. Sometimes there is a glitch in the production line, causing a deposit in the egg. I'd just scoop it out and use the egg.

3. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    Yes I agree. In New layers many strange things can happen. Look up egg laying anatomy. It's a wonder it works as well as it does. GC

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    Improbable, but not impossible...have seen it posted before.
    Did you touch the white stuff .....is it hard and 'sandy' like a calcium deposit?
    How old are your birds?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  5. allyoop

allyoop New Egg

Aug 12, 2016
    The chickens are two years old and I did touch it and it was hard like a calcium deposit.

6. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I wouldn't worry about it unless it is happening often, or her laying frequencies change, as long as the hen looks and act's healthy. GC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by