Help!!!

Going to worm after the Corid. Don't think it's safe to use both at the same time. Antibiotics, now corid... geeze (I don't think it's pecking order. Most of the flock has it. )

Last edited:
The black spots look like scabs. Probably from light skirmishes and pecking order stuff.

It *could* be fowl pox, but it really doesn't look like it.

Either way, you don't need to do a thing unless you start seeing lethargy, not eating or drinking, hunching/puffing, bubbly eyes, runny beak, sneezing, wheezing, or gasping.
smile.png

Have you wormed your flock lately? I recommend Valbazen liquid goat wormer.

MrsB
Have to agree with @MrsBrooke this looks like pecking. Unless you keep your chickens separated from one another completely, most will have peck/pick marks on their combs. Could be insect bites or Fowl Pox, but not nearly widespread enough to think it's pox.

FWIW Corid is not an antibiotic and is a very safe and gentle medication. It won't hurt and would be a good idea to treat them with it.

As suggested worming may be in order, but if you are worried about all the meds you have been giving, take some fecal samples to your vet for a fecal float test. This will give you confirmation of worms or not. I also agree Valbazen would be a good choice for de-worming.

Going to worm after the Corid. Don't think it's safe to use both at the same time. Antibiotics, now corid... geeze (I don't think it's pecking order. Most of the flock has it. )
Corid and Safeguard or Corid and Valbazen can be used at the same time... I have done it several times and neither of the drugs list each other under "drug interactions".

-Kathy

Last edited:
When I first noticed the pail comb. I went to get corid. Was talked out of corid & ended up with tetracycline....(which I stopped after the 5th treatment & got the corid.)
After just a little over 12 hours their poop is actually forming & they are actually looking better. But I will go ahead and worm. It can be placed in the water with Corid?

Last edited:
I won't worry about the black marks. We have cattle and horses also, therefore there are biting flies. (I keep the fly strips up in the coop. On hot days they need changed ever other day.) The part of this the I dislike is keeping them put up for treatment. They love to run. But with a pond which I have never seen them drink from I don't want to chance it. (Cattle & horses in one field, chickens and our donkey up around the house)

Last edited:
When I first noticed the pail comb. I went to get corid. Was talked out of corid & ended up with tetracycline....(which I stopped after the 5th treatment & got the corid.)
After just a little over 12 hours their poop is actually forming & they are actually looking better. But I will go ahead and worm. It can be placed in the water with Corid?
I would not put more than one medication in the water. What wormer were you going to use?

-Kathy

I don't know yet. Headed to the feed store now. (My first flock & all new to me. For the most part the vet comes out pores and worms the livestock twice a year.) But the chickens are between 4&5 months old I haven't wormed yet. There are still 21 chickens.

I don't know yet. Headed to the feed store now. (My first flock & all new to me. For the most part the vet comes out pores and worms the livestock twice a year.) But the chickens are between 4&5 months old I haven't wormed yet. There are still 21 chickens.
So what worms do you want to treat? Do you want to do it orally or in the water?

-Kathy

So what worms do you want to treat? Do you want to do it orally or in the water?

-Kathy

My fear when dealing with the worming is that I will double dose. Though my chickens like being around me, only 1or2 actually don't mind being handled. Then because of the antibiotic I need to replace good gut bacteria. Just picked up yogurt (have corn meal & rolled oats always on hand) The chickens are “my thing” hence I am on my own worming 21 birds

Last edited:

Their combs are getting red again.. So Happy! (Just FYI. Husband's dream is cows yes all 30 of them have names. We don't butcher our own. Keep the bull calves in tack so that when we do have to sell there is a choice other than market. Willa the donkey is alarm & security for the chickens. Husband calls all the hens Maryland. And one rooster Blackbeard because of the natural red color bled through on his beak near his head. 2 of the roosters will be swapped out eventually to a friend for barred rock hens. Horses for trail riding bought and self broke, with spirit still intact. One barn cat, Tiger. 2 house pups, Darla & Groot.) Our Dream hobby farm.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom