Help

kamrynwade

Chirping
May 24, 2015
I'm incubating eggs for the first time and I put 8 in at 2am on the 15th I wanted to add more from my hens but they weren't laying eggs. Do I have to wait after these hatch to put more in since it won't be the correct humidity for the new eggs the last few days the older ones hatch?

I'm incubating eggs for the first time and I put 8 in at 2am on the 15th I wanted to add more from my hens but they weren't laying eggs. Do I have to wait after these hatch to put more in since it won't be the correct humidity for the new eggs the last few days the older ones hatch?

I would because I would not want a staggered hatch, But if you have a second incubator you could take the first eggs out the incubator on day 18 and put them in the second "ready" incubator to hatch. I set eggs once a week--in the incubator and put them in the second incubator to hatch every week for 17 months straight----hatching over 6000 eggs.

Last edited:
I would because I would not want a staggered hatch, But if you have a second incubator you could take the first eggs out the incubator on day 18 and put them in the second "ready" incubator to hatch. I set eggs once a week--in the incubator and put them in the second incubator to hatch every week for 17 months straight----hatching over 6000 eggs.

I don't have a second incubator. :( thank you

I'm not a big advocate for staggered hatches either, especially for newbie hatchers but it can be done. I wouldn' add eggs every week, because that will really screw things up humidity wise. I agree with PD. Having a second incubator is best. But, if you set eggs on the 15th, and really wanted to set more, I'd do it on the 22nd. That would put them a week apart. I'd run low humidity, monitoring air cell size for the incubation period, The first ones would be due the 5th and the second ones the 12th. As soon as the first ones hatch and you can get them in the bator, (I would not wait 2-3 days to move chicks) I'd get the humidity lowered right back down for the second ones till it's their time for lockdown. Just note, by doing staggered hatches in one bator, you have higher chances of having issues related to humidity.

i
I'm not a big advocate for staggered hatches either, especially for newbie hatchers but it can be done. I wouldn' add eggs every week, because that will really screw things up humidity wise. I agree with PD. Having a second incubator is best. But, if you set eggs on the 15th, and really wanted to set more, I'd do it on the 22nd. That would put them a week apart. I'd run low humidity, monitoring air cell size for the incubation period, The first ones would be due the 5th and the second ones the 12th. As soon as the first ones hatch and you can get them in the bator, (I would not wait 2-3 days to move chicks) I'd get the humidity lowered right back down for the second ones till it's their time for lockdown. Just note, by doing staggered hatches in one bator, you have higher chances of having issues related to humidity.
thank you I appreciate it! :)

Back
Top Bottom