Help!

Sav-A-Chick is an electrolyte solution made specifically for chicks and when mixed as directed it is safe. This is my first time with chicks but I know many people who have raised chicks (even from eggs they have hatched themselves and they are helping me through this) and they all have used it.
Electrolytes are essential for life itself---although they can be dangerous if not used correctly they also can be lifesavers if chicks are stressed and depleted.
Sugar is good too and thank you for suggesting it!

Mine just died from it so I'm just saying be careful I prefer suger plus you most likely have it lying around and they will not have to take a trip to the store.and I get that its special formulated but who knows what chemicals they put in it.

When I ordered 16 chicks from Murray McMurray Hatchery I had 5 die within the first week. This unfortunately is very common and it usually isn't something that you can control. When chicks are shipped the box they are in get moved around and they fall over on each other, sometimes leading to spray-leg, or they get cold and begin acting tired and their wings droop. I suspect that my chicks got cold during the delivery process because it was chilly and rainy that whole week. It's very sad to lose any chicken, however, death is sometimes inevitable and you shouldn't feel like you have done something wrong. I hope that the rest of your chicks survive and grow up to be happy hens!

I reread your initial post. I wasn't completely paying attention the first time (I was out and about) and was under the mistaken impression you had had them for several days.

Seems they have some shipping stress. I'd add some poultry nutri-drench to their water to hopefully perk them up. What breeds did you get? Did the losses happen with any particular breed?

Agree, this stuff is amazing and has been a lifesaver more than once for me! Not sure what stores are near you, but they carry it at Tractor Supply Co.

a347867f-198d-45e9-ad40-c9f081477d50_1.24f3bf643d173e8945176a99299cdecf.jpeg

Mine just died from it so I'm just saying be careful I prefer suger plus you most likely have it lying around and they will not have to take a trip to the store.and I get that its special formulated but who knows what chemicals they put in it.
Did you have a necropsy done on your dead chicks?
I'm going to talk a wild guess that you did not.
Please don't say so matter of factly that electrolytes killed yours...it's simply not sure.

OP..keep an eye out for cocci...it's real and does happen, while feeding medicated feed or not, and it can kill chicks quickly.

My chicks were doing fine until I added electrolyte then one started gasping and laying down.it was fine for multiple days until the electrolytes. Everything was fine water chick feed and an ecoglow.

Back
Top Bottom