Help! :(

It's currently covered in chicken wire but I think I'm going to reinforce some parts with hardware cloth.

I suggest just take the chicken wire off its giving you a false sense of security it does nothing.

So if people have mice problems in their house sometimes they would use spackle and break it up with some crushed up glass so that when the mice start scratching to the Spackle they cut themselves on the class..

That being said you might want to put some Sharp nails at some vulnerable parts of your chicken coop... those long nails will be deterrence because the animal won't be able to get to close without poking themselves which ultimately will give the fox less I'm an opportunity and less time to weasel its way through...

Just be very careful that you as a human don't poke yourself or slip and hit it

It's currently covered in chicken wire but I think I'm going to reinforce some parts with hardware cloth.

Probably a good idea. I'm putting the hard ware cloth around the actual enclosure now. I got hardware cloth 2 ft around the enclosure in the ground, around the coop in the enclosure. I'm using a heavy duty net for the top but I might roll some hardware cloth around the top of the net. Hardware cloth just everywhere...

It’s a little hard to make out in the pic, but this is what we’ve come up with so far and haven’t had any problems for a while now.

The 2 x 4 wire went up first. The soil is extremely hard so to avoid having to dig 24 inches down into the soil it only extends about 3 inches below. I then cut a 2 foot width of the wire which is attached at a 90° angle outward from the fence and buried that at the same 3 inches below. This has seemed to keep anything from digging under the fence, as they will go right up to the edge, start digging down and run into the wire. I don’t think it makes sense to them to start 2 feet away from where they want to get in.

We then had problems with raccoons and skunks killing the chickens through the 2 x 4 wire so I just wrapped the bottom of the run with half inch hardware cloth to a height of 2 feet.

I do keep a live trap placed at all times and a couple of snares for good measure. Bottom line is they will keep coming back no matter what you do. Once your chicken enclosure looks like a Supermax prison, you’re on your way to sleeping easy at night!

Attachments

• E56A9B74-FAAF-495E-A197-4E127AD05B5F.jpeg
    E56A9B74-FAAF-495E-A197-4E127AD05B5F.jpeg
    916.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 1ED1F7C8-B31E-49ED-B310-C9B77DBB594D.jpeg
    1ED1F7C8-B31E-49ED-B310-C9B77DBB594D.jpeg
    916.2 KB · Views: 7
It’s a little hard to make out in the pic, but this is what we’ve come up with so far and haven’t had any problems for a while now.

The 2 x 4 wire went up first. The soil is extremely hard so to avoid having to dig 24 inches down into the soil it only extends about 3 inches below. I then cut a 2 foot width of the wire which is attached at a 90° angle outward from the fence and buried that at the same 3 inches below. This has seemed to keep anything from digging under the fence, as they will go right up to the edge, start digging down and run into the wire. I don’t think it makes sense to them to start 2 feet away from where they want to get in.

We then had problems with raccoons and skunks killing the chickens through the 2 x 4 wire so I just wrapped the bottom of the run with half inch hardware cloth to a height of 2 feet.

I do keep a live trap placed at all times and a couple of snares for good measure. Bottom line is they will keep coming back no matter what you do. Once your chicken enclosure looks like a Supermax prison, you’re on your way to sleeping easy at night!

Attachments

• B4EC6905-B6E4-498A-A504-CCE07D271F36.jpeg
    B4EC6905-B6E4-498A-A504-CCE07D271F36.jpeg
    974 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom