HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LesleyS

Chirping
Aug 28, 2018
Somehow my young hen seriously hurt her leg. I'm not sure if it's dislocated at the "elbow" or just plain broken. It happened a few days ago. She hops along fine on one leg and I can't tell if she's in pain. She eats well but, naturally, can't scratch. What would you do and why?

Welcome To BYC!

Can you upload a video to youtube then provide us a link?
If not, photos of your girl and her leg would be good.

Have you examine the leg for swelling, bruising or other injury?
How old is she?
What type of food/treats do you feed?

Restricting her activity would be a place to start after you examine her. A dog kennel or crate works well.

Looking forward to your video and/or photos and more information, hopefully we can help you further.

Welcome To BYC!

Can you upload a video to youtube then provide us a link?
If not, photos of your girl and her leg would be good.

Have you examine the leg for swelling, bruising or other injury?
How old is she?
What type of food/treats do you feed?

Restricting her activity would be a place to start after you examine her. A dog kennel or crate works well.

Looking forward to your video and/or photos and more information, hopefully we can help you further.

I can't do you tube video because I have an android. She's about 4 months old, don't really see swelling, maybe a little by the toes. If you need, I'll try to get better pictures when she settles down.

Attachments

• 20181107_081044.jpg
    20181107_081044.jpg
    756.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20181107_081102.jpg
    20181107_081102.jpg
    880.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20181107_081103.jpg
    20181107_081103.jpg
    929.3 KB · Views: 18
I can't do you tube video because I have an android. She's about 4 months old, don't really see swelling, maybe a little by the toes. If you need, I'll try to get better pictures when she settles down.
Is that how she stands - on her hocks?
If she were to stand up straight, how do the legs look does she look knock kneed or bow legged, does the one leg bend in or out at the knee?

The toes do not look right, she may have a broken or out of place toe which you can try splinting, but I have a feeling there is more going on with her leg as well.
I would try to restrict her activity for a few days, see that she is eating/drinking. Cage her within the run so she can be with the other chickens.

If you do have vet care, that is always best.

Here's some info on splinting
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Thank you all for your replies! Little by little she got better little by little. Today, with the exception of a slight limp, she is back to normal! Running with the others, eating well, and just plain happy chicken! I've never seen anything like it.

Back
Top Bottom