Help!!!!!!

CJLR

Songster
Jun 9, 2019
20190629_143822.jpg 20190629_143719.jpg 20190629_144301.jpg 20190629_144345.jpg 20190629_144918.jpg 20190629_143125.jpg So we got this rooster about a month ago and he had what looked like scaly mites and possibly a bit of old frostbite we had been treating him for the mites and had been putting hen healer on it and it seemed to go away until about 3 days ago and it started coming back well today we noticed that his one of his eyes was swollen shut so we caught him and wrapped him up in a towel we flushed the eye out with saline solution and picked the goopy stuff of then we moved on to the comb and waddles but when my sister tried to pick one of the scabs off this little plug thing came with it and left a little hole behind we washed it with peroxide and put iodine on it then we put in hen healer what is this ? and what should we do about it? Ps sorry for all of the pictures

Aww, poor guy! You're so kind for trying to help him! Puss hardens on chickens and will often come out like a plug like you're describing, leaving a hole behind. I've seen this is treatment for bumble foot.
I don't have much advice so hopefully someone else will be more helpful but it sounds like he may need some antibiotics as well. I hope he recovers quickly!

Thankyou
Aww, poor guy! You're so kind for trying to help him! Puss hardens on chickens and will often come out like a plug like you're describing, leaving a hole behind. I've seen this is treatment for bumble foot.
I don't have much advice so hopefully someone else will be more helpful but it sounds like he may need some antibiotics as well. I hope he recovers quickly!

View attachment 1829631 View attachment 1829632 View attachment 1829633 View attachment 1829634 View attachment 1829635 View attachment 1829636 So we got this rooster about a month ago and he had what looked like scaly mites and possibly a bit of old frostbite we had been treating him for the mites and had been putting hen healer on it and it seemed to go away until about 3 days ago and it started coming back well today we noticed that his one of his eyes was swollen shut so we caught him and wrapped him up in a towel we flushed the eye out with saline solution and picked the goopy stuff of then we moved on to the comb and waddles but when my sister tried to pick one of the scabs off this little plug thing came with it and left a little hole behind we washed it with peroxide and put iodine on it then we put in hen healer what is this ? and what should we do about it? Ps sorry for all of the pictures
Did he always look like that with the scabs on his wattles?
Can you get his eye open?
What does the inside of his beak look like?
Photos of his legs?

If you have vet care, that would be best.

I would try to open the eye and flush that out several times a day with your saline. You can apply an eye ointment like Terramycin into the eye too. If there is pus in the eye, it needs to be removed.

The white on his comb looks like Favus which is a fungal infection, apply an anti-fungal cream to the comb (athlete's foot cream).
The wattles, I'm not sure what's going on there, they look like they were infected at some point, as to the cause, it could have been frostbite, but we are going into July, so depending on where you live, that should have resolved long ago unless the infection was bad.
I don't think I would pick off any more scabs, let them fall off naturally. You can use triple antibiotic ointment on the wattles to see if that helps, but it's hard to know since you don't know the cause.

Is he able to eat/drink on his own? What does the other side of his face look like?

Yes he always had the scabs on his wattles but they started to go away and then they came back. we flushed out the eye with saline and got it to open up .the vet is not an option as we don't have a vet that takes chickens within 2 hours from our house .his eye doesn't have pus in it. we willl be out of town for a few days but when we get back we will be sure to get the antifungal cream to put on his comd.where we live it gets hot early in the year .he is able to eat and drink on his own .
Did he always look like that with the scabs on his wattles?
Can you get his eye open?
What does the inside of his beak look like?
Photos of his legs?

If you have vet care, that would be best.

I would try to open the eye and flush that out several times a day with your saline. You can apply an eye ointment like Terramycin into the eye too. If there is pus in the eye, it needs to be removed.

The white on his comb looks like Favus which is a fungal infection, apply an anti-fungal cream to the comb (athlete's foot cream).
The wattles, I'm not sure what's going on there, they look like they were infected at some point, as to the cause, it could have been frostbite, but we are going into July, so depending on where you live, that should have resolved long ago unless the infection was bad.
I don't think I would pick off any more scabs, let them fall off naturally. You can use triple antibiotic ointment on the wattles to see if that helps, but it's hard to know since you don't know the cause.

Is he able to eat/drink on his own? What does the other side of his face look like?
i am going out now to take pictures of his legs and other side of his face

Back
Top Bottom