Help

CAF

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2020
In my last post I explained about two of my quail fighting and the roo bird had been pecked in the eye. I followed advice and separated him for a few days but I have now put him back with the others but the hen he was fighting with has started straight back pecking him. It’s definitely the hen which is the aggressor so what can I do to stop this?
I was thinking of separating the hen for a few days as have read this could work. Any advice please

I also tried it with 2 hens, which where constantly hurting others. It ended in the fridge both times.

I still have a third hen with same behaviour (nearly killed 3 hens, till I could identify her), but as she belongs to my 10 year old daughter, the fridge is no option. She will be in single prison for life, which isn't really good ☹

The only chance to re-integrate such birds is space. ... Much space, with hideouts. In these little hutches or cages, like we urban quail-holder keep them, this will be not likely AND will repeat with any very dominat bird.

The price we have to pay 😔

It varies for each bird. Personally, I would cull the aggressive hen. You don't want her to pass those aggressive genes on to your chicks. At the least, separate her out and see if she does better after a couple of days in isolation.

It varies for each bird. Personally, I would cull the aggressive hen. You don't want her to pass those aggressive genes on to your chicks. At the least, separate her out and see if she does better after a couple of days in isolation.
Ok thanks for that I will separate her tonight and try that first.
Thanks to you both

Back
Top Bottom