Help!

BrittanyD10

Chirping
Jul 30, 2020
I have had a leghorn laying for a while and she lays in the nesting boxes, this morning I found 2 eggs in the coop under the roost and they were broke and smashed, how do I get them to lay in the nesting boxes so they aren't broke ?

Hi there! You could try putting fake eggs where you want your chickens to lay their eggs! (Wooden or plastic.) You can by fake eggs from TSC.

Also, they might not be laying eggs in the nesting boxes because they don't think they are comfortable enough. Hehe. :rolleyes: Silly chickens.You can try adding new, clean wood shavings or what ever your using for bedding.

Good luck and please give updates!

Hi there! You could try putting fake eggs where you want your chickens to lay their eggs! (Wooden or plastic.) You can by fake eggs from TSC.

Also, they might not be laying eggs in the nesting boxes because they don't think they are comfortable enough. Hehe. :rolleyes: Silly chickens.You can try adding new, clean wood shavings or what ever your using for bedding.

X2

I have the fake eggs already to help encourage them, I will try adding better bedding in the nesting boxes thanks so much , I was surprised they'd rather lay by their poop lol

You're welcome. It might help if you posted a picture of inside the nesting boxes. Then I could see if there was anything wrong. Also, pictures of the fake eggs you have might help, too.

You're welcome. It might help if you posted a picture of inside the nesting boxes. Then I could see if there was anything wrong. Also, pictures of the fake eggs you have might help, too.
Is it normal for them to peck their eggs and break them the first time they lay too? I dont know when they actually laid I didnt think to check the inside of the coop, maybe add more bedding ? they kick it out everytime I put it in there too.

Attachments

• 4B0456C1-DBD7-4BFF-B681-5FD115836139.jpeg
    4B0456C1-DBD7-4BFF-B681-5FD115836139.jpeg
    744.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 971D3D50-FCFC-4DBE-83D7-33CB6C23E25D.jpeg
    971D3D50-FCFC-4DBE-83D7-33CB6C23E25D.jpeg
    525.2 KB · Views: 3
Mine rearrange and eliminate nest box bedding too, and I guess that's how they want it. Adding a higher front board will help a bit, at least they will work harder moving that bedding out!
At night, with a flashlight, look at their vents, under wings, and necks for any evidence of mites or lice, and treat them and the coop with permethrin if any are found on even one bird.
I often will dust the bottom of the nest boxes with a bit of permethrin dust, under the bedding, so the birds aren't harassed by biting insects in there.
Also, rats will take eggs, break them, and eat the contents, before moving on to killing the chickens at night. If you see any rodent signs, get busy fixing that.
Mary

Is it normal for them to peck their eggs and break them the first time they lay too? I dont know when they actually laid I didnt think to check the inside of the coop, maybe add more bedding ? they kick it out everytime I put it in there too.

Maybe they aren't getting enough calcium? Yeah, those nesting boxes don't look very comfortable.

Try added a higher front board, then add pine shavings and shape them into a comfortable nest site. Then put 1 or 2 fake eggs in the nest.

Maybe they aren't getting enough calcium? Yeah, those nesting boxes don't look very comfortable.

Try added a higher front board, then add pine shavings and shape them into a comfortable nest site. Then put 1 or 2 fake eggs in the nest.
There's another hen in there laying now, I'm begining to think these ones got on the roost and couldn't see to get in a nesting box to lay

Back
Top Bottom