Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Eventually the hen will be overmated/abused.
And eventually 'brother #1' is going to get angry with 'brother #2' because of the hen; things could get bloody.
Rehome or process for your freezer one of the cockerels and try again with three more chicks with the hopes of adding sufficient hens to your flock and/or freezer.

And eventually 'brother #1' is going to get angry with 'brother #2' because of the hen; things could get bloody.
Rehome or process for your freezer one of the cockerels and try again with three more chicks with the hopes of adding sufficient hens to your flock and/or freezer.
Would a rooster and a hen work then?

Welcome to the forum, gad you joined.

Would a rooster and a hen work then?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Each chicken is an individual with its own personality. Each flock, however large or small, has its own dynamics. Sometimes it works out quite well, sometimes it is a disaster. There is only one way to find out in your situation.

What often happens is that immature pullets and cockerels going through puberty have a lot of problems. The hormones are going wild, they don't have much control. That is when you are most likely to see the worst behavior. Often, not always but often, when they become mature hens and roosters they calm down a lot. Getting through puberty is usually the hardest part.

Adding more girls doesn't really change this. You can have the same issues with 20 girls as with one. Trying to integrate during this time doesn't solve anything, it just means you have to deal with integration as well as the other issues if you have them. I personally like more girls though. Chickens are social animals and if you only have two and something happens to one then the other is lonely. If you have three or more then if something happens to one they still have a buddy. That's the reason I'd consider adding more, not because I was worried about how one hen and one rooster will behave. If I added any it would be a minimum of two new ones so they have a buddy to go through integration with.

Welcome to the forum, gad you joined.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Each chicken is an individual with its own personality. Each flock, however large or small, has its own dynamics. Sometimes it works out quite well, sometimes it is a disaster. There is only one way to find out in your situation.

What often happens is that immature pullets and cockerels going through puberty have a lot of problems. The hormones are going wild, they don't have much control. That is when you are most likely to see the worst behavior. Often, not always but often, when they become mature hens and roosters they calm down a lot. Getting through puberty is usually the hardest part.

Adding more girls doesn't really change this. You can have the same issues with 20 girls as with one. Trying to integrate during this time doesn't solve anything, it just means you have to deal with integration as well as the other issues if you have them. I personally like more girls though. Chickens are social animals and if you only have two and something happens to one then the other is lonely. If you have three or more then if something happens to one they still have a buddy. That's the reason I'd consider adding more, not because I was worried about how one hen and one rooster will behave. If I added any it would be a minimum of two new ones so they have a buddy to go through integration with.
I can’t have more chickens because there’s not even room in the coop. I used to have 2 hens and 2 roosters but a hen died so I’m not sure if the other hen can sleep with the 2 roosters or will they attack her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom