Help!!

Brandibirk

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2020
My neighbor brought this girl over this morning for me to look at! I’ve never seen anything like it, she will barely pick her head up, I tried to get her to drink and feed her some yogurt and egg, she wouldn’t swallow it. They said she was fine yesterday.

Attachments

• B13BCDA2-9AD4-4818-B105-3B7479F5822F.jpeg
    B13BCDA2-9AD4-4818-B105-3B7479F5822F.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 84473AE4-7016-40BE-8358-91A3BDF4F5E3.jpeg
    84473AE4-7016-40BE-8358-91A3BDF4F5E3.jpeg
    396.8 KB · Views: 13
  • F5AD09F0-BF6B-479A-9458-5EEC82EDA0C1.jpeg
    F5AD09F0-BF6B-479A-9458-5EEC82EDA0C1.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 12
Can you get a description of her living conditions, feed, health of any other birds living with her, history of disease in their flock... and what their definition of "fine" is? like are they very observant chicken people and that actually means normal or are they brand new owners who could easily miss things? Pictures of her poop are always helpful as well.

I also cant tell what is going on under her wing. Could you describe it?
That is under her wing, it’s her vent. I’ve never seen it, but I’m wondering if it’s vent gleet? Everything I’ve read said they should get this sick from vent gleet. However, after a little further investigation they did say they noticed something leaking from her vent yesterday.

Something similar has happened to me before. Maybe a little less extreme though. I think it might be Cocci. If you get her to drink water with Corid in it, she could be back to normal in a day or two.
I had some with cocci before and treated them and they were good, however they never looked this bad, they had some bloody poop so I immediately treated them and they were fine!! She could have had bloody poop and they just didn’t notice it. I have some corid maybe I will fix her up some, but I couldn’t get her to even swallow the water I was placing in her mouth.

Can you get a description of her living conditions, feed, health of any other birds living with her, history of disease in their flock... and what their definition of "fine" is? like are they very observant chicken people and that actually means normal or are they brand new owners who could easily miss things? Pictures of her poop are always helpful as well.
She lives in a pretty small coop, they keep it clean but they have about 15 chickens of which 6 are roosters. They were afraid the roosters had done their thing to her, I explained to them the anatomy of a chicken and that it isn’t the same as most animals! The chickens are stuck in the coop all but about 1-2 hours a day. They said all the other chickens are fine, but they did notice some leakage from her vent yesterday. I can try to get pictures of her poop, but at this point I’m not certain she is still pooping. For now I just had them separate her and put her under a heat lamp. I have treated a lot of chickens but this one is new to me.

That is under her wing, it’s her vent. I’ve never seen it, but I’m wondering if it’s vent gleet? Everything I’ve read said they should get this sick from vent gleet. However, after a little further investigation they did say they noticed something leaking from her vent yesterday.
Oh that's her tail. I need to retake chicken anatomy haha.

I'm not familiar with reproductive issues but a ton of people here are so just sit tight. :)

Back
Top Bottom