Help!

SweetLilDuckies

Chirping
May 6, 2020
My duck(1y Indian Runner) made a nest on the edge of the ditch that runs past our house and our landlords are digging it out today. I had to move the eggs and i don't know how to get my duck to go broody on it again, and if that's not possible, how should I set up a homemade incubator until I can get one?

My Runners rarely go broody, and I suspect that the stress of having the eggs moved may discourage yours from resuming her incubating duties. You could always confine her with the eggs in a crate and see if she begins sitting again - this would be the best case scenario.

If she doesn't resume quickly, I think your best chance of getting those eggs to hatch is to put them in an incubator. There are many threads on here about making DIY incubators (keeping them at the right temp is critical once they've begun developing), if you search on the topic. Good luck!

My Runners rarely go broody, and I suspect that the stress of having the eggs moved may discourage yours from resuming her incubating duties. You could always confine her with the eggs in a crate and see if she begins sitting again - this would be the best case scenario.

If she doesn't resume quickly, I think your best chance of getting those eggs to hatch is to put them in an incubator. There are many threads on here about making DIY incubators (keeping them at the right temp is critical once they've begun developing), if you search on the topic. Good luck!
I did try showing her the eggs in a safe area for her to brood but she didn't take, she did revisit the nest site a few times and sat there for a bit. But the nest site isn't easily accessible so I think I'll try incubating them for now(one of our neighbors lent us one), thanks for the advice!

Aw, that's sad for the little wanna-be mama. 🙁 Maybe she'll have another chance to hatch in the future. Are you planning to put any hatchlings back with her to see if she'll raise them?
Would she raise them even if she didn't hatch them? Or would she need to be sitting on another nest to "adopt" them? They still have two weeks at least before hatching...

My duck(1y Indian Runner) made a nest on the edge of the ditch that runs past our house and our landlords are digging it out today. I had to move the eggs and i don't know how to get my duck to go broody on it again, and if that's not possible, how should I set up a homemade incubator until I can get one?
Oh no! Im sorry, I think your only option though would be to try to move her. Maybe even seclude her alone with the eggs and some bedding. Keep her trapped in their with them and see what happens after awhile. Make sure to provide food and water. Also, do you have other duck breeds? I hear (again, ive only heard this not tried it), that runners aren't the best mothers. But like welsh harlequins for example are very good.

Would she raise them even if she didn't hatch them? Or would she need to be sitting on another nest to "adopt" them? They still have two weeks at least before hatching...
You can give her duckling/chicks if she's been broody for at least a week. She will most likely adopt them, but if you give them to her closer to 3-4 weeks like regular hatching time she will be more enthusiastic about adopting them.

She might - it really depends on the duck, but Runners aren't known for being the most maternal. I'd try but watch very carefully to ensure she doesn't ignore them or, worse, attack them.

Oh no! Im sorry, I think your only option though would be to try to move her. Maybe even seclude her alone with the eggs and some bedding. Keep her trapped in their with them and see what happens after awhile. Make sure to provide food and water. Also, do you have other duck breeds? I hear (again, ive only heard this not tried it), that runners aren't the best mothers. But like welsh harlequins for example are very good.
I only have a runner mix and I don't know how good of a mother she'd be, especially since she isn't broody right now.

Back
Top Bottom