Help

Birdmama2020

Chirping
Jul 24, 2020
Ok i am in need of some advice. I had 2 khaki campbell hens. Bonded like no other. I then got 3 pekins (well 2 and 1 mixed pekin and khaki) the mixed is a drake then one drake one hen with the pekins.
The other day my one khaki girl was killed by a fox. Since then my other girl has been ok being around the others (more so then when her mate was here) They were always all out together during the day but slept in different coops at night. (2 khakis in a coop and the 3 in their own coop). They are all together during the day out to free range and use the pond, which seems to be fine but i mostly see the 3 together at one spot and my khaki girl swimming alone :( Tonight I put them all in the same pen (which has access to the coop, a pool, and the khaki girls coop.) But I have noticed it is the female pekin that is being aggressive with my khaki girl. I understand the drakes with mating and such but I was hoping to house the girls separate from the drakes but now I am worried after seeing her pin her under water repeatedly along with the one drake.
I also notice that my khaki isn't fighting back and is just taking it. Maybe because she is lonely and missing her mate and just wants to be accepted?
But now what do I do about housing them?
Would getting another khaki girl for her be better? Or a younger one?
Should I just separate the drakes and hope the girls figure it out?
Please help! I am heart broken watching her be alone and missing her mate.
My khaki girl is a year old.
The pekins are about 3 months.

Thank you

Attachments

• 20210520_191952.jpg
    20210520_191952.jpg
    861.7 KB · Views: 18
Drake hen ratio is usually five hens per drake.

I recently lost a drake so I am at 11 hens per drake.

The girls necks are really taking a beating now because the alpha drake used to spend half his time chasing the other drake. 😏

Ok i am in need of some advice. I had 2 khaki campbell hens. Bonded like no other. I then got 3 pekins (well 2 and 1 mixed pekin and khaki) the mixed is a drake then one drake one hen with the pekins.
The other day my one khaki girl was killed by a fox. Since then my other girl has been ok being around the others (more so then when her mate was here) They were always all out together during the day but slept in different coops at night. (2 khakis in a coop and the 3 in their own coop). They are all together during the day out to free range and use the pond, which seems to be fine but i mostly see the 3 together at one spot and my khaki girl swimming alone :( Tonight I put them all in the same pen (which has access to the coop, a pool, and the khaki girls coop.) But I have noticed it is the female pekin that is being aggressive with my khaki girl. I understand the drakes with mating and such but I was hoping to house the girls separate from the drakes but now I am worried after seeing her pin her under water repeatedly along with the one drake.
I also notice that my khaki isn't fighting back and is just taking it. Maybe because she is lonely and missing her mate and just wants to be accepted?
But now what do I do about housing them?
Would getting another khaki girl for her be better? Or a younger one?
Should I just separate the drakes and hope the girls figure it out?
Please help! I am heart broken watching her be alone and missing her mate.
My khaki girl is a year old.
The pekins are about 3 months.

Thank you
How is it going? did you figure out coop time? I have 2 drakes to 8 ducks and this working fine. It all depends on the drakes, and 1 Muscovy drake to 4 ducks. Is it possible to try separating Girls/Boys and see how it goes?
Very sorry for your loss.

How is it going? did you figure out coop time? I have 2 drakes to 8 ducks and this working fine. It all depends on the drakes, and 1 Muscovy drake to 4 ducks. Is it possible to try separating Girls/Boys and see how it goes?
Very sorry for your loss.
They are all still ok to hang out but I still notice the 3 picking on my girl. I am trying to decide if I should get another khaki girl the same age as mine or if I should get one younger?

They are all still ok to hang out but I still notice the 3 picking on my girl. I am trying to decide if I should get another khaki girl the same age as mine or if I should get one younger?
I had the same problem..my bubbles disappeared and I actually saw his brother Waddles cry..it broke my heart..I got 3 swedish blue girls 3 weeks ago..and tonight Waddles walked them into their coop for bed...I about cried...get your girl a young girl and keep them together and separated for awhile..❤

I had the same problem..my bubbles disappeared and I actually saw his brother Waddles cry..it broke my heart..I got 3 swedish blue girls 3 weeks ago..and tonight Waddles walked them into their coop for bed...I about cried...get your girl a young girl and keep them together and separated for awhile..❤
Seperated from the other ducks not each other...sorry I wasn't clear

Thank you. She cries every night. And falls asleep in my arms. She's so lonely :( I'm trying to find her a mate.

Back
Top Bottom