Help

The last group of rescues that i evaluated for a humane society had Mycoplasma synoviae, and were all euthanized as unadoptable.
You can have some testing done on live birds, and it might save your entire flock if you do.
Better yet, don't get these birds, and plan on heathy chicks from a good hatchery in spring.
Being paranoid about biosecurity is a very good thing!
Mary
That's true. It's always a gamble.

They free range all day at 7am I let them out and they dont get put away till about 8 30 or 9 pm....they younger pack that have been here the longest would have a separate coop and the older ones would have there own at least for another year.. .I am planning on getting them next week ish......I think I answered all the question let me know if you have more
The key piece of information that is missing is whether the "new" coop that comes with them is OK for you to lock them in for a week or two. For five hens that would take a decent sized coop or a coop/run combination. I'll assume that they are all hens, no roosters involved. Even having one rooster could change the dynamics. And I'll let others discuss the biosecurity issues.

Since they free range, to me the big issue is training them where you want them to sleep at night. They may ignore you anyway. Since they are new to the area they may go walk about if you just turn them loose, they may decide to sleep in trees or some other unacceptable place, or they may follow the others to their coop. If you house them in their new coop or coop/run (positioned in its final location) for a week or so they should get used to sleeping in there. At least they should not disappear on you. This would also get them used to seeing each other so when you turn them loose to free range they have a better chance of not fighting, or at least fighting too bad. And if they are laying it should train them to lay in that coop or coop/run.

With free ranging you don't need to worry about clutter. I would have separated food/water stations so they don't have to mingle if they don't want to or they have to fight if they want to eat or drink.

They will still probably settle pecking order issues. This could be a bit violent or may be really peaceful. They may maintain two separate flocks or they may mingle into one flock during the day. They may all go to the same coop at night. When they free range they get to do what they want to do, that is often not what you want them to do.

With that much room and them all being adults this should go really smoothly. Should doesn't mean absolutely without a doubt will but I like your chances.

Back
Top Bottom