Help!

I don't quite understand. You only make 3 walls? It seems like that would make it easier for predators to get them. Snakes, racoons, and do groundhogs go after them?

The 4th wall is made of wire:

cover-image

Every opening you can see in that photo is, now that it's finished, covered in 1/2" hardware cloth (in fact, I have 1/2" hardware cloth under the board siding since those boards are not structural quality).

An Open Air Coop is, essentially, a roofed wire box with a 3-sided shelter on the upwind side.

(I have slow internet, so I'm waiting for photos to load on the linked coop you asked about).

I'm thinking this one with a few changes. Put nesting boxes up higher is the main thing. And only 5 nesting boxes. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-coop-deville-2019.75320/

That's a beautiful coop! Very well suited to a temperate area with the soffit vents under the roof overhangs to shelter them from rain. It probably meets the suggested ventilation minimums, but I think that when your temperatures climb toward the triple digits heat would build up pretty badly under that peaked roof with only those modest gable vents to release it at the top.

I suggest that you at least put in ridge vent, if not a monitor:

0121211125a-jpg.3007391

Chickens readily tolerate cold down to 0F and below if they are dry and out of the wind, but heat is much harder on them. :)

If your going to get up to 20 chickens you need at least 80 sq ft of coop space, 200 sq ft of run space, 1 linear ft of roost, 1 sq ft of permanent ventilation, and about 4 nesting boxes.
I worded that wrong, sorry. 80 sq ft coop space, 200 sq ft run space, 20 linear ft of roost, 20 sq ft of permanent ventilation and about 4 nesting boxes.

Back
Top Bottom