Help!

HappyHensFarms

Chirping
Sep 30, 2017
So we had a hen who has been setting for close to three weeks. We typically just let the hens hatch them so I don’t know exactly how long she’s been in them. Sadly she was killed this morning. I candled the eggs and they are alive, but idk what to to with them. Without an incubator, is there really any chance at saving them? I currently have them in a large Tupperware with a lid on it, I have my lizard temp/humidity gauge inside and a heat lamp on the outside. The temp is reading 99. Is this an option at all? They are REALLY close to hatching. I just am at a loss

Yes, it's possible! Keep the humidity near 70%, temp at about 99.5 F, and don't move them. I had a hen who kicked an egg from the nest when most of them had hatched. It had pipped a small hole, but I thought it died. TWO DAYS LATER I heard it peeping and noticed movement. It was shrink-wrapped and I assisted the hatch, but just incredible that it survived two days laying alone in the wood chips with no mama.

Quickly make a styrofoam box or use a box with good insulation! Put the eggs in the box and next to the eggs put a glass bottle of hot water, which you tired in a towel! You can also use a heated brick wrapped in a towel instead of a glass bottle of water (which is more complicated).Change the water every 4 hours!Use your "lizard" thermostat to check temperature!Also, spray the eggs with warm water!

Back
Top Bottom