Help!

Keiki

Chirping
May 19, 2022
Help! I got 2 new chickens and had them in a crate I put them next to my car (drive way) and went in the house to get something. My other 3 girls are free range and never come to my drive way we have a 4ft fence . I came back and they where standing around the crate close sticking heads in. Now I have not been able to properly quarantine them .. I’m scared for my old girls. Has anyone gone through something like this and everything endend up being fine . The new chickens where bullied chickens so it’s hard to see how healthy they actually are . I feel so dumb I need some advice! Or stories that ended up okay.

Help! I got 2 new chickens and had them in a crate I put them next to my car (drive way) and went in the house to get something. My other 3 girls are free range and never come to my drive way we have a 4ft fence . I came back and they where standing around the crate close sticking heads in. Now I have not been able to properly quarantine them .. I’m scared for my old girls. Has anyone gone through something like this and everything endend up being fine . The new chickens where bullied chickens so it’s hard to see how healthy they actually are . I feel so dumb I need some advice! Or stories that ended up okay.
Honestly, proper quarantining is so hard that most people don't really do it, anyway. You're supposed to separate them by a large distance (I read somewhere 100 yds) and change your clothes/so a boot wash between birds. That's really difficult for most folks to pull off.

That said, sometimes it works out great with no problems! Sometimes, it's disastrous. I wish I had a definitive answer, but there are just too many variables. Chances are, it'll be ok. But there's always the possibility that those new birds are carriers. Time will tell.

I have frequently added birds without a quarantine and nothing went wrong, it happens most of the time. People on here often think they are quarantining, but when you read what they are doing, they are not.

It is a little bit disconcerting where you say there were bullied chickens and it is hard to see if they are healthy. I never take in birds I feel sorry for.

Even with that brief exposure - I would keep them separate for 2 weeks, and then work on integration. Yes you have broken quarantine, but a brief exposure is not a huge germ exchange such as living in the same run, eating out of the same bowl, roosting on the same roost.

Mrs K

I have frequently added birds without a quarantine and nothing went wrong, it happens most of the time. People on here often think they are quarantining, but when you read what they are doing, they are not.

It is a little bit disconcerting where you say there were bullied chickens and it is hard to see if they are healthy. I never take in birds I feel sorry for.

Even with that brief exposure - I would keep them separate for 2 weeks, and then work on integration. Yes you have broken quarantine, but a brief exposure is not a huge germ exchange such as living in the same run, eating out of the same bowl, roosting on the same roost.

Mrs K
It’s my flaw and blessing I have always taken in animals that need a second chance and usually with proper care and quarantine it goes fine . This time I just need to hope and pray !

Back
Top Bottom