Help

ChickenHeartedHen

Ameraucanas 🐓
Feb 3, 2023
New Mexico
So one of our EE hens has been acting strangely for a while now. Last night, at dark I went to lock the coop, and as I was checking for eggs I saw her in the basket as if she was laying. I thought it was strange for her to be laying at night, but I left her to it. This morning I went out there, and checked the roost. The egg was squished and she was gingerly pecking/eating it. I took her down from the roost and now she’s moping around. She will not eat or drink, she won’t cluck a lot, and she won’t move around. She seems to be moving very slow. She also has some diarrhea, and her tail is pointed down. What’s wrong with her? Is she sick?

She could be potentially egg bound. And for her eating the egg that is normal chickens can actually eat eggs and is good for them. It is really common for chickens to be egged bound https://www.wikihow.com/Cure-a-Chicken-from-Egg-Bound here is a quick website to explain the idea of it and way to potentially fix it. I think its best to make sure the chicken is up and moving and to take assistance as soon as possible. Egged bound can be deadly to chickens.

I don’t exactly know. When I saw it, it was broken and partially covered in a bedding. Now that I remember, the way the egg was cracked looked more like it might have been soft shelled. It had more of a pac-man shape to it rather than pieces of shell spread around.

Back
Top Bottom