Scarii5y

Hatching
Jun 7, 2023
Ive been incubating a couple crested and cayuga duck eggs the past few weeks and today as I went to remove the egg turner so I could place them on lockdown and as I was returning them to the incubator I noticed that 3 of the eggs had pipped! Im just worried that me moving them around while taking out the turning rack could affect them being able to hatch. I candled them and they are all still alive but is there anything I should watch for or anything or will they be fine and I just need to chill out a little bit? Its my first hatch so my nerves have been threw the roof. The fact that I can hear them peeping every now and again helps calm me down, I just wanted a little advice from others with more experience in this. Thanks!

Ive been incubating a couple crested and cayuga duck eggs the past few weeks and today as I went to remove the egg turner so I could place them on lockdown and as I was returning them to the incubator I noticed that 3 of the eggs had pipped! Im just worried that me moving them around while taking out the turning rack could affect them being able to hatch. I candled them and they are all still alive but is there anything I should watch for or anything or will they be fine and I just need to chill out a little bit? Its my first hatch so my nerves have been threw the roof. The fact that I can hear them peeping every now and again helps calm me down, I just wanted a little advice from others with more experience in this. Thanks!
If you mean internal pip they will be fine
We just did lockdown today and had 2 internal pips
If external pip you will still be fine
Last year we went to start lockdown and took all the eggs out
Let them stay out while we removed the turner and added water went to set them back in and felt the crack
Baby hatched the next day just fine :)
Don’t worry

If you mean internal pip they will be fine
We just did lockdown today and had 2 internal pips
If external pip you will still be fine
Last year we went to start lockdown and took all the eggs out
Let them stay out while we removed the turner and added water went to set them back in and felt the crack
Baby hatched the next day just fine :)
Don’t worry
Okay thank you so much, ive just been so anxious about them this whole process lol. All the pips are external ones also, and while looking at the biggest pip i noticed its on the smaller end of the egg rather than the big side like normal, ill attatch a pic of how it looks(sorry for crappy quality of pic)

Attachments

• 20230607_010304.jpg
    20230607_010304.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 7
Okay thank you so much, ive just been so anxious about them this whole process lol. All the pips are external ones also, and while looking at the biggest pip i noticed its on the smaller end of the egg rather than the big side like normal, ill attatch a pic of how it looks(sorry for crappy quality of pic)
That’s okay that baby will take longer to hatch as it skipped the internal pip but still needs that time to absorb
Wrong ends take 48-72 hours to hatch but can hatch themselves
If no progress has been made after 48 you can take the candler and look in the egg for veins. If you still see some then leave baby another 4 hours and check again
I have the little giant bator and just lift enough to get my arm in but keeping the lid low to keep the heat and humidity up
If that’s the same bator as you don’t trust the humidity gage on it as it’s not accurate most times ( have 3 of them ) I fill the 2 outer Channels and often need water in one of the middle ones to get my 65-70 range but I use calibrated hygrometers inside as well

When I candle to look for veins after 48 hours I place it just down from the pip
I don’t check the air cell as it won’t show you anything
This is one of my wrong ends
See how I can still see veins then I just leave it be till it’s all clear inside
Then you can take your finger nail and make a zip and pull the cap back so it’s loose and let baby try to push out on their own
It’s best if they can but sometimes they need help being stuck

Attachments

• D469F865-2A1A-4FFA-BC77-45D0E5CAC080.png
    D469F865-2A1A-4FFA-BC77-45D0E5CAC080.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom