Help?

Crystins_homestead

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2023
I went through my normal morning routine this morning. I let the dogs out to run for a moment before putting them back inside so I can let the chickens and ducks out. When I went into the coop, I noticed one of my girls was still in the nesting box. Now, I would've just left her alone had she looked...normal? I guess? But she didn't look like she was just chilling and laying eggs, instead she was very lethargic. Her neck was laying against her back(I don't know how to really describe how her neck looked, I'm sorry) but she was breathing. Her eyes were closed and if I moved her a bit, they would open more before closing again. She wouldn't move at all. I tried to give her some food and water, but she wouldn't take either. She had what sounded like a rattle in her breath, but I can't be sure. Her breathing was laboured but not too laboured (idk if that makes sense). I had her with me throughout the rest of the morning, she was wrapped in a towel to keep her warm(her face was not blocked so she could get air), but then about an hour after I had her, she looked like she was having trouble breathing before she had a seizure and died in my arms..
I did look through other threads, but just wanted to double check. Online said it might've been Mareks disease, but the symptoms that my girl showed dont seem to align with the disease....idk

I'm very sorry for your loss. :hugs
How old was she? Do you know when she last laid? Do you know if she was pooping normally? When you say her neck was laying on her back, was she just trying to tuck her head to sleep, or was it an abnormal position , like wry neck? From what you describe, there is nothing that screams Marek's to me. If you still have her body (I'm sorry if this sounds insensitive) the best way to know for sure is necropsy. You can send her to your nearest lab (or deliver her if it's close enough), or you can try to do an informal one at home to look for obvious things. People here will look at pictures and tell you if they see anything that looks abnormal, based on their own experience. If you want to send her for a professional one, you need to refrigerate, not freeze, the body. There are so many things that can make them sick, we would all just be guessing.
Necropsy resources by state, call for particulars, it's very reasonable in many states:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

I'm very sorry for your loss. :hugs
How old was she? Do you know when she last laid? Do you know if she was pooping normally? When you say her neck was laying on her back, was she just trying to tuck her head to sleep, or was it an abnormal position , like wry neck? From what you describe, there is nothing that screams Marek's to me. If you still have her body (I'm sorry if this sounds insensitive) the best way to know for sure is necropsy. You can send her to your nearest lab (or deliver her if it's close enough), or you can try to do an informal one at home to look for obvious things. People here will look at pictures and tell you if they see anything that looks abnormal, based on their own experience. If you want to send her for a professional one, you need to refrigerate, not freeze, the body. There are so many things that can make them sick, we would all just be guessing.
Necropsy resources by state, call for particulars, it's very reasonable in many states:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf
So sorry for the late reply.
She was only two years and she had last laid her eggs yesterday. Her neck was in an abnormal position. And don't worry about being insensitive, another person also told me about necropsies and I've been researching how to do one.

Just this morning..
Tricky with the sudden onset. If there is one upside, with so few other symptoms and her seeming normal just before, I'm leaning towards a physical injury, like a bad jump. That means hopefully the rest of your flock is healthy and you have little to fear for their continued well being.

That said, it's still a complete guess from me and I'm far from an expert. I'd be looking for possible things she might have jumped to/from and missed to cause physical injury to the neck or head, and just to be safe, any other possible indication of illness in the rest of the flock. Any weirder than usual poop, lethargy, puffy posture, sneezing or labored breathing. If you find nothing, thats further evidence that you aren't facing anything contagious.

Wish I could offer better advice. This is just what I'd be doing. Truly sorry about your hen.

With sudden onset a toxin is also possible. Make sure there is no sign of spoilage in feed (if your feed is in a bag empty it into another container and look at all of it, spoilage can start at the bottom and not be noticed til you get there - I always empty every bag into another container before using it) spoiling can be clumping, change in color, strong odor, visible mold , make sure no fluids from leaking machinery (tractors, automobiles, mowers, etc) they can get to, poisons of all kinds (weed killers, fertilizers, insecticides, etc.), new plants that have just come up, dead animals or rotting compost, etc.

Back
Top Bottom