Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cdluvschicks, Jun 16, 2010.

1. cdluvschicks

cdluvschicks Out Of The Brooder

My Cochin Banty just hatched her first batch. She hatch 3 large sized chicks. Two weeks ago I hatched 2 banties and 2 hybrid chicks in my incubator(another broody abandoned them after 2 weeks sitting). I'm wondering if I can give them to her to raise? The 2 week old banties are the same size as her new babies but they have feathers on their wings and the 2 hybrids are bigger with wing feathers too. I've been keeping the 2 week olds in an aquarium in the house with a desk light and can continue that until the grow up but I'd rather my Banty raise them... Should I give them all to her or just the banties, as they are the same size as her babies? How should I do this? This is my first time with broodies. Any ideas and opinions are welcome.

Thanks [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  2. cdluvschicks

bump

3. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    I don't really know on this, some hens might accept new chicks and others will reject them. [​IMG]

Hopefully someone can answer better than I can [​IMG]

4. cdluvschicks

Thanks for the reply.

I gave them to her last night and today she is loving them. I thought maybe they were to old. But every thing's OK. When I walk up to the chicken tractor they all run for cover under her and she make 'purring' noises to them. It's the cutest thing ever! I love my broody she is a great mother!!! [​IMG]

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'd agree it varies by hen on how they will respond to older chicks. I'm glad to hear it worked out with her.

6. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Glad she accepted them [​IMG] That sounds so cute! I want to have a momma hen and chicks now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by