1. amydzek

amydzek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    can someone please post a few pics of nesting boxes and roosting poles so I can get a better idea of what my girls need...thanks!

2. amydzek

amydzek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    ok so our coop is pretty small compared to everyone elses... can the nesting box sit on the floor or does it need to be up?

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Yes you can set them on the floor, I use 55 gallon drums cut in half and they are very big and comfy.

4. wenlo

wenlo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    The milk crates on their side on the floor in the corner will work just fine Amy. Can't send a picture cuz its dark out, but that is essentially what I have just made out of wood. You will want to fashion a lip of some sort on the bottom to keep they hay/eggs in. One will be enough for four hens, two at the most. There should be lots a pics in the coop section.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  5. parisplus3

parisplus3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2010
    Missoula Montana
    My coop is small only 4 x 3 and 4 ft high (4 chicks) so I cut a hole in the back wall and inserted the nesting box into it so it is basically outside the coop with its own hinged lid. For the roost, I found a 2 inch thick tree limb with all the bark off and screwed it between the two side walls and they jump up there. The roost is big enough around so their little feet are covered by their bellies to stay warm.

6. hongyush2008

hongyush2008 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    shenzhen
    Well, you can get various kinds of such picture from websites, just search the main words of what you want to.

7. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Cat litter pails. Yep, mine are on the floor.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  8. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I know people that use cat litter boxes for nest boxes. They find the boxes with a lid, and fill the box with straw. Check on craigslist for the litter boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by