Help????

theguy67

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 23, 2010
Ok here it is,

I had 14 eggs that did not hatch ( some older than others) so I thought I messed up cause I decided on rolling them all instead of turning them one by one when incubating. I didnt know what to do since it was to late so I put them out with a broody hen ( not the best mom) and she kinda sat on them. It is a week ago since I put them in there and no hatchlings so I decided to throw them out. Most of the chicks were dead. When I opened one It was still alive, but not ready. He began to absorb the yolk but its still visable. I put her in the incubator set at 100 on a damp towel. I'm not sure of what to do next since this has never happend before. He's still alive after 2 hours of laying still. He is responsive but not active and still partially in the egg and laying on the ground wet.

Any ideas of what I can do?

Last edited:
How far along is this chick? Was he in the process of hatching? Is he breathing? I assume because the yolk sac is being absorbed, he was at least internally pipping. If that is the case, and he is breathing and the yolk sac is being absorbed... I doubt you will have to do anything to assist, but make sure to wait until he absorbs his yolk sac and there are no more active veins in the egg, if it does come down to that... Don't worry about whether you need to help until the yolk sac is completely absorbed and there are no more active blood vessels. Aside from that, make sure his body is in the egg, you do not break any veins or the yolk sac (it can rupture--that is bad) and if he's going to make it, he will kick himself out of the egg when he's ready. Good luck!

Idk if you completely understand. I opend the egg entierly, and only his bottom is in the egg. The rest of him is laying on a paper towel, so hes pratically out of the egg. Once I go back to check and if hes ok, I bet he should be fine. Im not sure of his hatch date since I did not wright most of them down this time around and thats one reason to why I said I messed up.

Last edited:
Im not really sure there really is much more you can do. I wouldnt disturb him in the bator. Let nature take it's course. Hopfully he'll pull through. It sounds like you have learned a lot. Best of luck. Many chicken prayers coming your way.

I checked agian and is still alive but seems weaker, although he may just be resting until the yolk is absorbed. We shall now by the morning.

Don't worry Im not real distrought over this one, it will suck if he dosent make it but I can always hatch more as I have hatched over 20 starting in december.

If you have an eye dropper - consider giving him a couple drops of warm water - or pedialite if you have it.

You already know to keep him wet/moist.

Now - since the shell is off - at least the top. Is the membrane intact? can you see him under the membrane or is he completely uncoverd and just has his bottom still in the shell?

Here's the thing. The membrane carries his blood to the shell & just like a lung exchanges oxygen & CO2. Once they pip the egg - its instinct to lay still for up to 24 hrs while the membrane stops flowing blood. If they move too fast they will cut a vessel & bleed out.

So - when you opened the egg - did you then or do you now see any blood? If no - his membrane is most likely done & he can be removed from the rest of the shell.

I've only had 2 hatches under my belt. But I can say - on my chicks the yolk sac does not absorb into the body - the yolk does but the sac stays behind & gets drug around until it drys ehough to just pull off.

If the membrane is done & there 's no blood - help him out. Because the membrane will become extreamly sticky and will hold the week chick down like tape. You will want to remove the membrane & shell carefully & stop if there is any blood at all.

Once that is done - let him rest. His yolk will hold him over for a couple days, but in a couple hours he will be up & wanting water.

After he is walking & moving on his own you may want to gently wash him off with warm water. The stickyness from the membrane will pull out little feathers.

Good luck & do your best. Don't let him dry up in that membrane. In this case - I would take the next steps to help him out. What have you got to lose?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom