Help?!?!

AnimalLady123

Songster
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
At the computer
Can you keep an endangered species of chicken as a pet????
idunno.gif
Help!!

I know that Murray McMurray sells chickens that are on the watch list, can you go to their website and see if you can find the breed you are interested in? Goggle it? What type of chicken? Good luck!
frow.gif

Are you talking about something that is on the government's official endangered species list like the Prairie Chicken or are you talking about chickens like those on the ALBC's website as being "endangered"?

It is illegal to have wildlife, like the Prairie Chicken, but the chicken breeds such as those listed by the ALBC as being threatened/critical are ok to have. In fact, they WANT people to have those types of chickens and try to prevent them from becoming extinct.

I am expecting chicks from a threatened breed soon myself.

I started to ask if it was a Prairie chicken, but I just couldn't think of anyone wanting to keep one for a pet! Gorgeous birds, but a big no~no!!

LOL - I understand. I just figured I'd throw it out there. My husband is a vet and on occasion sees things like that - you can just imagine the the illegal animals that people collect, sometimes purposely, more often just not knowing that they aren't supposed to have them.

Back
Top Bottom