help

sueg6255

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
LaGrange County
found one egg just laying there with it pipping and the mother hen not paying any attention to it. It was all dried up in the egg with her feathers and bedding dried to it. It was still chipping. So I brought it into the house and got a warm cloth and went to work. I still can't get some of the shell off one eye. I did free the chick and no blood. Got most of the bedding from it and did get the membrance off that was dried to it.

I put it into a incubator like he had just hatched and will try to work on him or her later if he or she survises.

I went out and checked the other egg that was under her and it was away from her and it was getting cold. I cracked the top where the air sack is and the membrance is still okay and the chick is moving. I put it into a incubator that was has other eggs in it and is turning the eggs. I put a damp wash cloth on top to keep the membrance from drying out. My question is should I keep the cloth on it or let the membrance dry out because I am afraid that the chick will come thru the membrane and no air.

Or should I just put it in the incubator that is set up for hatch and leave the cloth off ..

Oh man! I saw your name and will try to help. I've put "cold" eggs in the bator until they hatch. I've never done it with a cloth tho. I just had one hatch that the shell was stuck to its eye. After a day, I moistened it with water and it came off.

How's the water in the bator? I'd just keep watching! GOOD LUCK!
hugs.gif

I would move the egg to the one you have set up as a hatcher. I would wet a paper towel and lay it over the open part to keep it from drying out. Good luck with your babies.

Quote:
I second this. The bacteria from it hatching can kill the other eggs.

If you don't have another bator I have seen where people use heating pads, a box or tub with a heating lamp, etc.

Back
Top Bottom