Help

Rilly

Hatching
12 Years
May 27, 2007
Everyone that I talk to tells me my hens need to have a rooster. They are a year old now and very lovely. I found a blue silkie rooster, figuring that because he is small they wouldn't be intimidate by him! I have never seen my ladies as unhappy as they are right now, granted it has only been about 4 hours. Should I expect that they will get along soon? And why would they need to have a rooster? I hope somebody will help.
Thanks

Having a rooster is a choice, not a nessecity (unless you want fertilize eggs). It will take longer than 4 hours for them to adjust to him, but I wouldnt personally assume that just because he is smaller than he is less "bossy". Sometimes big personalities come in small packages....see what everyone else says.

Last edited:
anytime you put a new chicken in they have to get thier pecking order together you have a hen that was boss now the roo is it will take a while just give them a little more time

Just give them all time! You don't need a Roo but some people like having them around, like me! I'd give them a week or so and if it doesn't work find him a new home!
smile.png

First of all, when you bring home a new adult chicken, you should always quarantine him away from your flock for about 3-4 weeks to be sure he doesn't have anything he could transmit to them. They will, in that time, become used to hearing him crow and know he's around. Then you should put them close together, after you've determined he is disease-free, where they can see each other, but can't make contact for a short time. After that, you let them together and it shouldn't take long for him to assert his new position in the flock. I bought a 10 month old rooster and did the above routine and when introduced to the Girls, it took him all of one afternoon to be the new head of the flock.

The hens don't "need" a rooster. If they free range then a roo is good because he watches out for them. If you want to hatch the hen's eggs, a roo is necessary to fertilize the eggs. Some roos will even protect the hens from preditors to the point of giving his own life. But the hens don't "need" a roo. However, if you chose to have one then Cynthia's advice is by far the best and safest way to go. But understand now that the hens will have to adjust.

Back
Top Bottom